SASS Wire Forum

Practi Score and devices

Palmetto Traveller

We're looking at going to PS and trying to figure out the best route for tablets. I'm leaning away from iPads so if you're using an Android device what is it and how well do they work?

Thanks for the help.

Traveller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZHJGY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you spend the other $25.00 and get the case.

You will need one as a MASTER and the one for each posse.

Scorekeeper speaks on PractiScore:  PS does not show categories on the posse listing.  Category is helpful for ID when you don't know everybody.

devices: I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a smaller tablet 5/7, 5/8.  Helps for quicker entry & when you're juggling a lot of stuff.

14 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Scorekeeper speaks on PractiScore:  PS does not show categories on the posse listing.  Category is helpful for ID when you don't know everybody.

devices: I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a smaller tablet 5/7, 5/8.  Helps for quicker entry & when you're juggling a lot of stuff.

Practiscore does show category! The category is in parentheses immediately following the shooters name.

15 hours ago, Crisco said:

We use Kindle Fires, I think we pick them up for around $50 each.  Work great.

I'm pretty sure that's what Pale Ale Rider got for us; seem to work well.

13 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Practiscore does show category! The category is in parentheses immediately following the shooters name.

On mine the category is abbreviated

Frontier Cartridge is shown as (FC)

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

On mine the category is abbreviated

Frontier Cartridge is shown as (FC)

That is correct.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

For some of us scorers...the smaller devices as a phone is very hard to see, and also tight typing.;)

I can not shoot with my glasses, and frankly am not investing in scripted shooting glasses...so that is a considering factor.

That is why we provide each posse with a 7" tablet.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:04 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Practiscore does show category!

Well, durn.  What's the one that doesn't?

On 1/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

smaller devices as a phone is very hard to see,

Didn't mean that small.  But not the big, heavy ones, either.

We have been running PS on android tablets for almost 3 years.  The new version of PS is a lot better than the first one we tried - be sure to update any older versions.  The tablets are all older Amazon Fire units purchased from Woot (Amazon's liquidation site) for less than $35 each.  We use a MiFi mobile hotspot for networking when we have multiple tablets.

We have not had any real problems, but there is one PITA aspect - I have not yet figured out how to print from those android tablets.  I have tried printer apps & everything I can think of, to no avail.  My solution is to synch to my iPhone, after compiling results.  I can connect my iPhone wirelessly to a printer.  It takes me less than 5 minutes to synch & print results.

Holler

Archived