SASS Wire Forum

Woody gets a trophy

Lawdog Dago Dom

Woody Harrelson played the down to earth, Midwestern bartender Woody Boyd on the Cheers sitcom from the late 80's early 90's. When there are discussions on the Wire about playing just to win a buckle or playing just for fun, this always pops into my head. It's from the 10th season, the intro shot before the credits roll.

We all have our own reasons for shooting SASS, and that's fine. Here is how one man decided he would get that darn trophy.

Could not find the video, so here is the script.

Woody walks into the bar holding a trophy in the shape of a golfer, and goes over to where fraiser is sitting
Woody: Hey dr crane, look what I've got.
Fraiser: That's quite a trophy woody, I didn't know you played golf.
Woody: I don't, there's a trophy shop down the street.
Fraiser: You just bought it, you don't even golf?
Woody: Why should I?
Fraiser: Well because the idea of a trophy is to show some sort of accomplishment. You should learn to golf, go out, take a couple of lessons, spend some hours mastering the finer points of the game.
Woody: And then?
Fraiser: Well, you get better and you can join a country club.
Fraiser: And then you can compete, maybe enter some tournaments.
Fraiser: And then maybe someday you'll be the best and you'll win and you'll get a...
Woody: Trophy, dr crane?
Fraiser shakes woody's hand.
Fraiser: Congratulations, woody!

I have a few trophies I really treasure because of the memories and competition, mostly though, I have begun to think of trophies as "mementos" or souvenirs of the match etc. That way I am less bothered by a participation trophy I may win by some kind of default. Probably as a result of shooting so many years with so few in my category.

It isn't so much about placement as it is about how I feel about the match and the fun factor. 

Doc Nelson

I have a few trophies - Earned inside school and outside.  I don’t keep them on a shelf; they are stowed away.  I earned all them and they help me to recall some cherished fun times.  I’m nostalgic.

In activities other than shooting SASS, I have won 4 first places trophies in my life. These were back in the 1970's when you had to be top overall in what you were doing and they did not know what a participation trophy at that time.They all burned up in my parents house in the 1984.

Three of them were in 4-H, the General Demonstrations, the Food Demonstrations and Public speaking. By winning the foods demonstrations, I was on a Farm show on TV and they recorded my demonstration and ran it on TV. ( My 60 seconds of Fame at age 11)

I won my age group at the First Soapbox derby at the Fall Fun fest in Fairfield, IL (1970?). 

I wish I still had my soapbox derby trophy, That is one of my better memories while growing up.

The race was down a hill and the cars were pushed up on a flatbed truck and held in place with a piece of plywood on hinges. They dropped the plywood and the cars rolled down the truck, hit the ground and rolled down the hill. The finish line was at the bottom of the hill and the winner was the first to cross the line.

I drove 2 or 3 heats to win overall in my age group and my neighbors as drove our car and won 2 of the other age groups.

My sister got second place as we were in the same age group and I had a faster time than her. ( no separation for boys and girls at that time)

Our car set the record for the fast time downhill but I am not sure which of us was driving it. 

I wish i had the pictures of the car and the races but they also burned up in the house fire.

Only have one trophy. Was given me my senior year in high school for band for being in 4 years, a section leader for 3. And being an asst. director at times. It and my letter and it's attendant bars were the only awards I've received outside of SASS. I still have the trophy, it's on my chest of drawers collecting dust. The letter and it's jacket are long gone:lol::blush:

My only trophies were a few medals and ribbons I earned in the Navy. Nothing real spectacular though. 

I did win a first place blue ribbon in sixth grade for doing 236 sit ups. :D

Got 3rd place in a few CAS matches...of course there were only 3 in our shooting category...:rolleyes:

Archived