SASS Wire Forum

Say the line?

Warden Callaway

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I say my own line...and to hell with everyone that don't like it!!!!

Rhetoric...

Phantom

Thats the way it is supposed to be.

Conformity is for sheep; not cowboys.

A starting line may have a myriad of purposes; a joke, add ambiance, has meaning to the shooter, etc.

But the primary purpose for the starting line is to simply notify the TO that the shooter is prepared to engage the stage.

I will always include a starting line (or starting action; ring the bell, toss the knife, etc.) because I believe it is inappropriate for the TO to try to start the stage prior to the shooter signifying their readiness.

But "requiring" a specific sequence of words is unnecessary and contrary to the idea of everyone enjoying the match in their own way.

Anything from a Shakespearean monologue to "ready" serves the same purpose.

And all should be equally valid.

(Tho, speaking as a TO - the shooter that performs "To be or not to be" or a vaudeville routine should be prepared for a "Are you done now?" before the "shooters ready" and beep)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Thats the way it is supposed to be.

Conformity is for sheep; not cowboys.

A starting line may have a myriad of purposes; a joke, add ambiance, has meaning to the shooter, etc.

But the primary purpose for the starting line is to simply notify the TO that the shooter is prepared to engage the stage.

I will always include a starting line (or starting action; ring the bell, toss the knife, etc.) because I believe it is inappropriate for the TO to try to start the stage prior to the shooter signifying their readiness.

But "requiring" a specific sequence of words is unnecessary and contrary to the idea of everyone enjoying the match in their own way.

Anything from a Shakespearean monologue to "ready" serves the same purpose.

And all should be equally valid.

(Tho, speaking as a TO - the shooter that performs "To be or not to be" or a vaudeville routine should be prepared for a "Are you done now?" before the "shooters ready" and beep)

"Me Thinks" it's time to shoot!

On those rare occasions when I am entrusted with a timer,  if the stage has a starting line and the shooter has forgotten it or doesn’t want to say it:  

“I don’t know the line.”

”Close enough.  STAND BY!”

BEEP.

My posses move fast.  :)

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

On those rare occasions when I am entrusted with a timer,  if the stage has a starting line and the shooter has forgotten it or doesn’t want to say it:  

“I don’t know the line.”

”Close enough.  STAND BY!”

BEEP.

My posses move fast.  :)

My brother from another mother. B)

Archived