SASS Wire Forum

Tobiano Horses

I am not much on horses, being more city boy and river rat than equestrian. So I'm reading up on he Pinto horse

and the wild mustang.  Article stated that wild Mustangs had harder hooves than domestic horses, and that they

could live up to 40 years. I never knew that.

Most wild horses today have little in common with the horses that went wild centuries ago. I understand a few remote herds have relatively uncontaminated blood, but most do not today. What you look for is the shorter spine and/or narrow chest. Mustangs have unbelievable stamina such as endurance races over time. Most colors are the bay/brown or chestnut colors with gray, roan, pinto and other colors filling in the rest. They are generally a small horse of 14-15 hands, but could they grow larger given regular feeding? I don't know, but I love horses.

9 minutes ago, Go West said:

Most wild horses today have little in common with the horses that went wild centuries ago. I understand a few remote herds have relatively uncontaminated blood, but most do not today. What you look for is the shorter spine and/or narrow chest. Mustangs have unbelievable stamina such as endurance races over time. Most colors are the bay/brown or chestnut colors with gray, roan, pinto and other colors filling in the rest. They are generally a small horse of 14-15 hands, but could they grow larger given regular feeding? I don't know, but I love horses.

Thanks for your information. Beautiful creatures.  Love to watch horses in action. 

48 minutes ago, Okiepan said:

Mine is 15 hands and gruello

Okiepan

Only if you want to..... would you post a clear photo of your horse?  

Cat Brules

They have a Mustang Adoption here in New Mexico.

Largo

In my humble opinion, Mustangs and Appaloosas generally have harder that average feet.  I have owned both.  But given the nature of the ground in AZ, you need to protect your horses feet with shoes if you are using them outside of an arena.   Currently we ride  Quarter horses and put shoes on all of them because their feet are not hard as in the Mustang and Appy.  I can go on and on but the bottom line, if you have the time to dedicate to a Mustang adoption, please do, they are amazing horses but require consistent and almost daily work.  They do require a smaller rider though because most are smaller in size.

I’ve often said there is nothing better for the inside of the man, than the outside of the horse.

Ronald Reagan

I have had and do have all breeds and colors. Our land is hard enough most of the year we do not shoe. Hooves will chip off to some extent so an occasional trimming is sufficient. Packing into the mountains on a hunt trip requires shoeing. Pulling a hay wagon in winter requires caulked shoes. A good quality mustang or wild horse can happen but a lot of them you would not want. There are too many in lots of places. I had one that tended to come over backwards. A horse that does that only gets one chance and then it is off to the glue factory

Archived