SASS Wire Forum

The Honest Pre-Flight Safety Video

Cat Brules

:mellow:  This is your captain speaking.....
                                 :unsure:

Cat Brules

That's info I could have used when I was totaling up my milage for the 1 million mile certificate.  

Doesn't concern me any more.  If I'm ever on a plane again...EVER...I'll be physically restrained and likely unconscious, and used to LOVE to fly.

Thanks for those who still do fly.  This is good stuff.

The one thing that captain didn't say is if they lose cabin pressure at cruising altitude, DO NOT TRY TO HOLD YOUR BREATH!  First, because you won't be able to, and second because if you try to you could suffer damage to your lungs and throat!  If the masks drop, get yours on as quickly as possible. I don't know about now, but 50 years ago, I had a useful consciousness time of about 29 seconds at 35,000 ft simulated altitude (chamber).  That doesn't mean you will necessarily pass out completely, just that is all the time until you cannot help yourself.  After about 29 seconds I could hear the airman safety troop telling me to put my mask on, but I couldn't do it.  He reached up and put it back on me, and I went right back to putting blocks into holes in a board.

Pull the mask until the tube is fully extended, BUT DON'T RIP IT LOOSE!  Pulling the cord fires the oxygen generating canister.  In case it doesn't work, hopefully you can grab another mask that will before you go hypoxic (that's why there are four masks over three seats!  Get yours on first, then check somebody next to you to see if they have theirs on, or for kids riding with you!  Never had cabin pressure problem on any plane I ever flew on, but just in case...

4 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The one thing that captain didn't say is if they lose cabin pressure at cruising altitude, DO NOT TRY TO HOLD YOUR BREATH!  First, because you won't be able to, and second because if you try to you could suffer damage to your lungs and throat!  If the masks drop, get yours on as quickly as possible. I don't know about now, but 50 years ago, I had a useful consciousness time of about 29 seconds at 35,000 ft simulated altitude (chamber).  That doesn't mean you will necessarily pass out completely, just that is all the time until you cannot help yourself.  After about 29 seconds I could hear the airman safety troop telling me to put my mask on, but I couldn't do it.  He reached up and put it back on me, and I went right back to putting blocks into holes in a board.

Pull the mask until the tube is fully extended, BUT DON'T RIP IT LOOSE!  Pulling the cord fires the oxygen generating canister.  In case it doesn't work, hopefully you can grab another mask that will before you go hypoxic (that's why there are four masks over three seats!  Get yours on first, then check somebody next to you to see if they have theirs on, or for kids riding with you!  Never had cabin pressure problem on any plane I ever flew on, but just in case...

In over 3.5 million commercial air miles over 35 years, I've only lost cabin pressure twice.  Once at cruising altitude and the video properly describes the ride.  Yea Haw!  The other time was during climb out at about 15k feet.  Both led to an emergency landing.  The latter one also caused my boss at the time to pee his pants.  He hated to fly, but did 2 to 6 flights a week, since our sales and delivery territory was North America.

My wife and I are howling ...
After my lifetime in the emergency services, after my wife's career in hospital radiography, we both have a rude, crude and socially unacceptable sense of humor.

This is not only factually accurate, it's memorable!

Archived