SASS Wire Forum

Shipping guns to Ca clarification please

Fill Yer Hand

IF the FFL in California will accept from a non FFL it's simple; just include a photo ID in with the firearm(s). It's getting harder to find those that are willing though.

Are you sending gun to be repaired and returned to you, or trying to complete a purchase by a Californian?

Repair - contact the repair shop directly.

A sale (or gift) -

Probably the simplest thing is to have your buyer in CA contact an FFL who is willing to take a shipment from out of state.  There are several things that have to be handled, the most obvious is if the gun/model can be transferred to a citizen of CA.   Then have that FFL give you a call to start sorting out if it is legal to do the transfer, and how to do that..

You have quoted only a very small part of the restrictions which deal with shipping.  

Good luck, GJ

Simple three step process.

1. Ensure receiving FFL will accept the gun from an individual. During this process the receiving dealer will check to make sure the gun you want to send is on CA's "legal to receive" list.

2. Obtain a copy of the dealers FFL AND their CA DOJ number. You have to go online to the CA DOJ web site and print a letter of authorization and include it in the shipment.

3. I highly recommend removing the stock so it does not get damaged. Pack it good and ship FedEx or UPS ground service. Do not take it to a Kinko's or any other location other that a main shipping center.

1 hour ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Simple three step process.

1. Ensure receiving FFL will accept the gun from an individual. During this process the receiving dealer will check to make sure the gun you want to send is on CA's "legal to receive" list.

2. Obtain a copy of the dealers FFL AND their CA DOJ number. You have to go online to the CA DOJ web site and print a letter of authorization and include it in the shipment.

3. I highly recommend removing the stock so it does not get damaged. Pack it good and ship FedEx or UPS ground service. Do not take it to a Kinko's or any other location other that a main shipping center.

Only Licensees need to do your step 2. In addition, Non-licensees can ship long guns through the US Postal Service.

19 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

IF the FFL in California will accept from a non FFL it's simple; just include a photo ID in with the firearm(s). It's getting harder to find those that are willing though.

Fake News! there are three just in my area alone! And I do live in California V.D.

Archived