SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter - Double or Single Cocking?

Crusty Knees

Excellent advice! I read something similar from a famous drummer, he said that he really began to get good at his craft when he stopped trying to do things he couldn't do, and focused on what he could do. Words of wisdom.

I started shooting Gunfighter about 3 matches ago.  I've tried double cocking, but find that I sometimes shoot the wrong pistol that way so I gave it up.  Went to single cocking, but still cant get coordinated enough to shoot one pistol while simultaneously cocking the other.  So I cock-fire, cock-fire, and so on.  I'll get the hang of it eventually.  Until then, I just concentrate on safety and hopefully one day a clean match.  I shoot GF for style points, 'cause obviously speed ain't happening yet!

On 3/14/2020 at 8:09 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Widder

I agree with what you said. I never looked at it that way before but, if a shooter can do it, there are advantages to practice other ways:

First is that many stages are written subconsciously favoring traditional style shooters. ie. sometimes you shoot a five shot sequence with one pistol and repeat with the other the same way (even with the same hand). As I said, I shoot the Nevada Sweep by Dbl cocking (as it can be a crossover nightmare). Traditional is a "run in the park"!

I started shooting CAS as a Dbl Duelist because I wanted to improve my weak hand performance, not just hit the target better and faster. My law enforcement qualification required shooting and loading with both hands and I wanted to do better, knowing my limitations. Therefor the plan was "Practice"!

Now I shoot GF, but I can choose Dbl Duelist on any stage I elect to. I also have the option to single or double cock dependent on the stage sequence. I had an AV Fistula Graft put in my left arm to hook up to a dialysis machine, so for a couple matches I shot Sgl Duelist. One time I had to shoot Josey Wales. Not as fast, but I got to shoot. Options...

Another consideration; how many shooters can actually compete with the top traditional shooters in a big match? Just look at the match standing based on category. Shooting Silver Senior GF gives me a smaller population to shoot against (with a goal to focus no) when there is no physical way for me to go up against the top 5 traditional shooters at this point of my life.

If the shooters goal is to challenge the Top 5, shoot 1,000 rounds a month, do one thing, and do it fast... But if you show up to a match like Iron Cowboy, you will find there is nothing Traditional about it and is a good dose of reality concerning your shooting ability (but everyone loves it)!

Just different goals and perspectives we all have sometimes...;)

BTW: I can not shoot Traditional at all, so I'll never be competition to any Traditional Shooter! I can shoot Outlaw better than Traditional! As you said, We are all wired differently! However I do practice Traditional sometimes, just to refresh my memory of what I can't and shouldn't attempt at a match! :D

Good post Blast,   but, here are my observances over the past few years:

When a stage may seem to favor a Trad style shooter, ya got to remember that its ONLY the pistols

that are in play, not the SG or rifle.    And when it seems that a GF falls short of being competitive with

a good Trad style shooter, its probably because most of us (me included) suck on transitions.

Another thought:  its possible that some GFer's think a stage may favor a Trad style shooter.  But is it

because that GF hasn't practice their strengths enough to equal the practice of the Trad style shooter?

Remember, when it comes to pistols, a GF basically has to practice twice as much because of our

2-hand requirement.   Trad style shooter can get their 'shooting' practice in 1/2 the time and then use

other practice times with Transitions and such.

My pistol speeds are fairly competitive.

My SG speeds are competitive

My rifle is just o.k..... I've never tried to be a fast rifle shooter.

But, I never practice nor really care about practicing my Transitions.

I will admit that its been years since I've felt like any stages favored any other style of shooter, especially

stages where pistols are shot back to back.

But even on split pistols,  my efficiency (or lack thereof) basically equates to the amount of practice I have

taken for such scenarios.

As for GFer's being able to compete with Top Gun prominence, just look at the history of Lassiter, Possum Skinner,

etc..... and last year (2019)  Missouri Lefty finished 2nd OVERALL at EOT shooting GF.

And if I ain't mistaken, Billy the Avenger was Top Gun Overall at two regional matches shooting GF category.

Those folks mentioned above work on transitions, along with SG and Rifle shooting speeds.

As a side note, Possum Skinner (down in Louisiana) uses a Hammer Double.   Yes..... a Hammer Double.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that he practices his techniques and transitions.

Good luck and keep em smokin.

..........Widder

As Widder says, you have to figure out what works for YOU and practice that.  Don't try to go on memory, keep a record.  And don't think any of it will come instantly.  It takes time and practice (Proper practice) to get there.

Possum

Whichever way you try start out in slow motion. This can help eliminate wasted motion and perfect your technique. It can also help ensure you see your front sight. Pick baseball sized targets to ingrain aiming small missing small.

I started dualist then moved to gunfighter.  I’ve never double cocked cause to me the act of shooting is cocking and firing pretty much right away.   

Archived