SASS Wire Forum

Why Can't I Find Things Like This?

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.counton2.com/news/local-news/charleston-county-news/police-fire-crews-responding-to-east-bay-street-in-downtown-charleston/?fbclid=IwAR2jAiZaG-zXRCku5Ozx0qAf0x0Illpn6bpVUGiVblQbzuBXTXgj4oKCW1U

According to Charles Francis with the Charleston Police Department, the shell was located at 10 Gillon Street.

“We came across what we thought was a small urn or barrel, we weren’t sure. We took it outside and realized it was some sort of ordinance,” said Timothy Geraci, who found the bomb. “So, we took it outside to get a little more information on it from Google and it’s what they called a Paris bomb; it was fired from Fort Sumter. So, at that time, we called 911.”

The United States Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal team responded and took possession of the artillery shell.

• shell2-.jpg
  • shell-1.jpg

Be my guest.   Mmmm...no other information on it.  Lois in pretty good shape, too.

Cat Brules

During the war of 1861 we had a salt works at the bay, and the Yankees attacked.

Many years later a fellow with WAS, DAMMIT OTTO scuba diving in the bay and found a cannonball. Took it home. Left it sitting out in the carport (probably his wife said he couldn't have it in the house).

His kids to HAD come up with a set of bowling pinS, and used it for bowling on the driveway, for several years.

As an aside, this gentleman lived right across the street from my junior high school.

A fella come to visit one time, and saw the children bowling. Asked what they were using and they told him "Daddy's cannonball".

He looked at it and inform the fella that that was not solid shot. It was explosive.

They called the Air Force EOD who came and fetched it back to the base, where they blowed it up.

I don't know whether it was still dangerous after a hundred and something years in the bay, but I guess they decided they didn't want to take a chance.

My wife, I and another couple were visiting Savannah Georgia in November 2016. We drove down one road, early in the morning and were not allowed back up that road that afternoon. Road work had unearthed explosive shells from the American Civil War. 

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/2016-11-30/second-civil-war-era-ordnance-found-blown-savannah

My brother and I would play war games.

At the time we lived on a small bayou in Valparaiso, Florida outside of Eglin AFB where dad was stationed.

We took our little john boat down a small creek at the end of the bayou, got out and climbed what appeared to be a very steep grade of dirt.

One day we found what appeared to be a weird shaped rock and decided to take it home with us.

Turns out it was a grenade and fortunately for us, it was not live and neither of us got killed or hurt.

Looked similar to this:

image.png.7b9bd80d05483f3760388064f54a1cc6.png

Wasn't until dad got home that we found out we were playing at the end of an old abandoned ordinance detonation range.

Needless to say, no more trips down the creek.

When I was stationed on Okinawa in 1966-1968 there was A LOT of WWII ordnance found by kids poking around in caves.  EOD would periodically gather it up and run a two or three minute film on TV of it being destroyed to show how dangerous it was.  Still mighty potent after 20 odd years.

Local gun range was expanding into a wooded area.  Equipment operator uncovered a buried ice chest with dynamite in it.  Call to 911, deposal experts hauled it off.

After all the “what ifs”  and back slapping was done Equipment operator went back to digging out stumps.  A second ice chest with dynamite was uncovered...

Several years ago, my wife and I were visiting Charleston, especially Ft. Sumpter.  While we were there, an explosion occurred in the harbor.  No one was hurt (we weren't anywhere near it...just heard about it on TV).  There had been no boats or ships anywhere near it.  Police couldn't find anything.  My supposition is it was a piece of CW ordnance that had a fuse that finally corroded enough to set off the explosive!  :o

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Who is Lois?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I assumed that was Otto at work, and he had actually written LOOKS.

GRRRR!   >:-(
Yeah, it WUZ s’post to be, “LOOKS in pretty good shape.”  

Cat Brules

Archived