SASS Wire Forum

Made some targets today

Jed Cooper

I’ve been wanting some targets to practice at home. I just looked around to see what I could scrounge up around the shop. This is what I came up with. Seems to work pretty good so far.B48CCAE0-C87D-4D35-9CED-969ED4A25B39.thumb.jpeg.3ddcfca964d2d56c966239575365c414.jpeg8F0B0D1E-41E4-4454-92C8-4C0FEAF37ADE.thumb.jpeg.60be9c53ec6c9cda0f741047cdf3d68c.jpegAAA39FB8-AD73-4020-8EDA-603CE0A114D2.thumb.jpeg.4e1616f2660eebe99927882988bbaf25.jpeg

Target looks good, I like the forward lean, but I'd say you might want to adjust your sights some - - either that or your trigger pull weight.  

Thanks for the suggestion. First few shots from a new pair of SASS Vaqueros I just recently acquired. Just made a few quick shots to see how the target worked out. I’ve got some practicing to do to see where I’m at. 

Thanks

Jed

The target is angled a little more than necessary but it should work just fine.  Better too much angle than not enough.

I figured it was a little more than necessary but it was easy to weld up since it’s 90 deg to the rod it’s welded to. Figured that way I didn’t have to match any other angle when I make some more of these.  I have plenty of room to shoot but just felt better knowing with that angle everything would be hitting the ground there close. 

Howdy Jed, looks good yer on the right track. The mounting rod is above the target and will give some false dings and wild ricochet. Our club has allowed us through the years to get targets from the top three makers, with Arntzen being the best style IMNHO. The targets hang free at a slight angle with the mounting bolt sliding into the U shaped notch. A couple of years ago we bought, made, or retrofitting all of our targets and stands to this style. They all give a good ding now, no more dead steel, and the best part is since we did this I cannot remember the last time we had any splatter. Bob at Arntzen has retired and Made Targets bought his business. You can now find all his stuff at Made Targets. Good Luck:) 

https://madetargets.com/folding-target-stand/

Howdy Jed, looks good yer on the right track. The mounting rod is above the target and will give some false dings and wild ricochet. Our club has allowed us through the years to get targets from the top three makers, with Arntzen being the best style IMNHO. The targets hang free at a slight angle with the mounting bolt sliding into the U shaped notch. A couple of years ago we bought, made, or retrofitting all of our targets and stands to this style. They all give a good ding now, no more dead steel, and the best part is since we did this I cannot remember the last time we had any splatter. Bob at Arntzen has retired and Made Targets bought his business. You can now find all his stuff at Made Targets. Good Luck:) 

https://madetargets.com/folding-target-stand/

Good point. When I first welded it up the rod was perfectly level and behind the target but that made the target hang straight and I didn’t like that when I first shot it. I changed it to the way it is now but it does leave the rod exposed to take a hit. The targets were already cut and what I had. I may shorten up the rod and make a target that has a slightly higher notch sticking up in the center of the top to shield the rod. Similar to the one’s in the link you provided.   Thanks for looking it over. 

Jed

Thanks for the suggestion. First few shots from a new pair of SASS Vaqueros I just recently acquired. Just made a few quick shots to see how the target worked out. I’ve got some practicing to do to see where I’m at. 

Thanks

Jed

Brand new Rugers with sights that require adjustment is pretty much the norm.  Commonly they shoot quite low and require front sight filing. 

Also be aware the front sights on Vaqueros - - especially SS, are not always soldered in real securely.   I've had two fall off just in shooting (or possibly forces from reholstering) during matches.  I had to modify my inside holster clearance.   

Anyone have plans for a Texas star?

I would very much like to have photos  of a Texas star. I could get it made here.

I host Scout shooting. CAS is very popular. I think that the Texas star would be a fun challenge. Also, it would be something to take to the Rocky Mountain Rangers range this summer.

I would very much like to have photos  of a Texas star. I could get it made here.

I could trace some of the parts on mine and send them to you. Most of my Texas star is buried in a snow drift at the moment.

I'm in Minnesota at Dirty Dog Dave 555551, my son's home for the Holidays. You can't call me a snow bird because it's colder here that at my place on the Canadian border. :D

I would very much appreciate the Texas star drawings once the snow melts.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

whs3@yahoo.com

Use a "carriage bolt" as a thru bolt, that will eliminate cutting the bullet and wild ricochets with the bolt head is hit.

use pipe to make adjustable front leg extensions or cut the rear leg a little shorter to get a little less angle to the plate - wont take a lot but the front leg extensions will allow adjustment for unlevel ground as well 

Archived