SASS Wire Forum

Walking on Water?

Watching the weather channel yesterday and one of their specials was titled "Special Weather Conditions".

Included in the special was the topic of frozen water on lakes. Not just any frozen water, but water clear enough that you could see the bottom.

Walking on this unusual phenomenon make it appear you are actually walking on water.

Special weather conditions are needed to enable the water to freeze clear, as opposed to the typical and always found cloudy frozen bodies of water.

For more on this, see link below; otherwise, enjoy the video.

http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2014/12/walking-on-water-physics-of-clear-ice.html

I’ve been on creeks and lakes with clear ice. It takes extended cold periods in the teens to 20s, plus absolutely no wind, rain, or snow during the freezing process. 

It is eerily beautiful to walk over the surface and see fish swimming right below your feet.  

I clearly remember going through the ice on a frozen creek in Ohio when I was thirteen.  Fortunately, it was only about chest deep, but made a lasting impression and instilled a lifelong respect for ice.  :huh:

Couple years later, now living in west Texas, a buddy decided it would be fun to go ice sliding on a frozen-over stock tank (cattle watering pond).  I strongly discouraged the fool, but he was dead set on going for it.

I cringed when I saw the ice sag under him as he zipped along.  I yelled at him that if he went in, he was gonna have to just stay there while I ran home for help - about a mile or so overland... no WAY was I gonna go out there after him!

Suddenly a big ol' crack appeared... and then looked to be chasin' the knothead.  Well, he lucked out ~ he made it to the bank, and didn't stop running for another fifty yards.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I yelled at him that if he went in, he was gonna have to just stay there while I ran home for help - about a mile or so overland... no WAY was I gonna go out there after him!

I did the same thing...sorta.

Many, many moons ago, I had a big Springer Spaniel that would run and fetch anything you threw. Me, my oldest son (who was about seven or eight at the time) and the dog walked out to Lake Houston, once during one of those rare freezes down here. My son picked up a part of a broken tree branch and skirted it across the ice. Dino jumped in after it and went through the ice. Insert Hardpan's quote here...

With some coaxing and determination, dog crawled and scratched his way free.

I 'spose one can remove oneself from said situation a lot easier when one has four legs and claws as apposed to only two legs and flailing arms.

Archived