SASS Wire Forum

.38-40 vs 44-40. 73s

evil dogooder

Here is the deal. It is an original 73 chambered in 44-40. Forcing cone is cut for BP, and it probably has a tight chamber...and probably bores .424-.427....lean to getting the 38-40 because the 44-40 may be limited to certain load combinations.
The 44-40 is a love hate relationship....no not like that...it's like a Jeep, you ether love them or hate them, there is no in between.

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I remember an article in Guns and Ammo many, many years ago about the 38-40, and much of the article compared it to the 44-40.  The basic points of the article were as follows...

The 30-40 uses a .40 caliber bullet.  Why it was ever called a .38 is unknown.

The 38-40 was the only cartridge that had the bullet size and powder load reversed. It carried a 40 caliber bullet over 38 grains of powder. The 44-40 had a 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of powder. 

6 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

The 38-40 was the only cartridge that had the bullet size and powder load reversed. It carried a 40 caliber bullet over 38 grains of powder. The 44-40 had a 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of powder. 

LOL

There is only one problem with that.   It's .38-40. not 38-.40.

That and the Spencer cartridges were caliber designated in the second number.

So two problems

25 minutes ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Actually no, it originally contained 40gr of black powder but that changes over the years as well as with certain manufactured cases. Powder compression also changed.

Modern example

https://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/38-40 bp5.jpg

Both, or either, will do nicely.  For CAS, I can't see an advantage or disadvantage of one over the other.  Components are just as easy to find, both smoke and BOOM!! just as well with BP...  Both ring steel.  Go with whichever "feels" best to you!  

Don't Keep the dirty old .38 WCF,,,,,, send it to me ....

They are a nightmare to use, they take all the work out of cleaning ,,, are less easily crushed than .44-40 ....

They have less variations in bore measurements ( .400 - .403 ) versus ( .424 - .429 ) 

They seem to shoot alright even from pitted bores ,,,,, Not Good -_-..

They shoot slightly flatter and drift less in the wind out at 300 yards , and recoil less ;) can't have that ...

They are just not what you want ,,,,,,,,,,, But I love the caliber and will give it a good home....

Jabez Cowboy

7 hours ago, Pecos Red said:

I will take which ever one you decide to get rid of!

I'm waiting on one response if not I'll let you know

Archived