SASS Wire Forum

FaceApp now owns your image forever????

Sedalia Dave

Viral App FaceApp Now Owns Access To More Than 150 Million People's Faces And Names :o

Everyone's seen them: friends posting pictures of themselves now, and years in the future.

Viral app FaceApp has been giving people the power to change their facial expressions, looks, and now age for several years. But at the same time, people have been giving FaceApp the power to use their pictures — and names — for any purpose it wishes, for as long as it desires.

And we thought we learned a lesson from Cambridge Analytica.

More than 100 million people have downloaded the app from Google Play. And FaceApp is now the top-ranked app on the iOS App Store in 121 countries, according to App Annie.

While according to FaceApp's terms of service people still own their own "user content" (read: face), the company owns a never-ending and irrevocable royalty-free license to do anything they want with it ... in front of whoever they wish:

FaceApp terms of use

You grant FaceApp a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed, without compensation to you. When you post or otherwise share User Content on or through our Services, you understand that your User Content and any associated information (such as your [username], location or profile photo) will be visible to the public.

To make FaceApp actually work, you have to give it permissions to access your photos - ALL of them. But it also gains access to Siri and Search .... Oh, and it has access to refreshing in the background - so even when you are not using it, it is using you

mine either...but I still don't like having pics of myself out there, especially on FB...things like this happen yet there's still some folks that don't get why I'm so dead set against it....

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

After spending a life time in the computer business, I fully understand the concept of "data mining."
Every app, every game, every questionnaire gathers more of your personal information.
What you look like, your race, your age, your favorite color, if you like Mayo or Miserable Whip... ;)

Every bit of this information is packaged and sold for marketing purposes.
Eventually, face recognition will be used to personal ads as you walk into Home Depot.
The movie "Vanilla Sky" does this, IIRC.

If you view a lawn mower at Home Depot, 20 seconds later you will get a Facebook ad for Home Depot lawn mowers.

you ain't kidding....I certainly never told FB I was looking to buy a house, but now all I get for ads on there are real estate agents, mortgage lenders, home buying services, remodeling contractors, interior decorating tips, etc........:rolleyes:

I do not use Facebook or Instagram but I have been using Google for searches and very little email and I have Yahoo email. So, a lot of my data is out there for data mining. Also, it’s the “cookies”, I believe that really help track you. I can delete cookies on my PC laptop but I have no idea about cookies on my iPhone. I have a Chromebook but I haven’t been using it much lately.

I have been using DuckDuckGo for all my searches lately and am pretty happy with it. I had to buy a laptop to replace my PC last week and had The Geek Squad set it up so all searches go through DuckDuckGo automatically if you You the upper search bar.

bgavin, I believe you meant the movie “Minority Report” but not having seen “Vanilla Sky” you may be correct. 

I firmly believe that Facebook and it’s like are almost like a branch of government that no one approved or elected. You can’t tell me the NSA, CIA, or any number of government agencies aren’t probing that behemoth for information and I am sure the US government is not the only government doing so. Not that I am afraid of the government. I just don’t trust them to be competent in most anything they do. 

Can you imagine one day you go to a bank to make a loan and the bank officer says “I’m sorry, but according to Facebook you are not responsible enough to have this loan”

You respond “You are declining my loan from my activity on Facebook?”

Banker “No, Facebook is declining to allow us to give you the loan due to your risqué hobbies and lifestyle. You see, our bank computer is now linked to Facebook and human interaction is no longer needed for loan approvals”

Yeah, it’s a little Sci-Fi but...

It is not Sci-Fi at all... it is here, and it is now.
Face recognition software is routinely tested at Super Bowl.
London has more cameras on the streets that anywhere else.

I liked "Minority Report" better than "Vanilla Sky" anyway, so you are probably correct.
I remember seeing the scene with the customized ads, and with my background this was an "ah ha" moment in film.

Employers are now demanding the passwords to your FB account as part of the interview process.
I would ask if I could see their tax returns and their wife's underpants, but then I would probably fail the job interview.
Then again... I"m retired, and don't give a hoot.

I've walked out on maniacs at job interviews after telling them to drink the decaf and stop wasting my time.
They need me far more than I need them.

10 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Employers are now demanding the passwords to your FB account as part of the interview process.

I was asked if I had a Facebook account or any other “social media” accounts when I interviewed for the job I have now. I told them that I did not. The lady I spoke with said “Okay, I will pull that document from the package”

I asked her “What document that would be?” 

She said it was the doc allowing them to see my accounts. I told her that even if I did have an account that I wouldn’t sign that document. She said “Understood” and that was that.

I don’t think they actually have the right to ask for that in CA but I am sure that won’t be the case for long.

Archived