SASS Wire Forum

Went on a Range Date With Mrs. Doc

DocWard

We don't get to do it anywhere near as much as we should, but decided to today. I had a couple of specific things I wanted to accomplish, and so did she. We had a great time, and even stopped for ice cream after.

I just had to share, though. We go to a local indoor range, the staff is great, and we enjoy it. Today, in the lane next to us is a guy I'll just call "Captain Tacticool." He had his USMC hat on, even though he looked to be early to mid-twenties and the general shape of "150 pounds of chewed bubblegum." He had his tacticool gloves, and a stand with half a dozen pistols, from a glance mostly H&Ks, with holographic sights and at least one with a weapon light. It is this last part that caught my attention, because the light kept flashing over into my lane and moving, being somewhat of a distraction. It did cause me to notice the groupings he was putting together, at 15 feet. The final thing I was working on was getting some practice time with a S&W Model 65 that does home defense duty. It wasn't lost on me that, with a revolver with fixed sights that I don't shoot as often as I should and shooting at 25 feet, I was able to hold a tighter group than he was at 15. Am I that good? Nope. There are shooters who may read this who can shoot rings around me. So, I'll let your reach your own conclusions otherwise. But... It ain't about the gear...

There were also some other... interesting... people about. But that's another story altogether.

Glad you got to go on a range date.  Uno and I had one yesterday.  I finally got to practice with the pink AR he built for me in St Louis.  LOVED it. 

43 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Groupings?"  Or patterns?

Something along those lines.

17 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Glad you got to go on a range date.  Uno and I had one yesterday.  I finally got to practice with the pink AR he built for me in St Louis.  LOVED it. 

Mrs. Doc is what I would call an advanced novice to intermediate shooter. Today was her first day trying her hand with an AR. My first time shooting this particular AR, and kind of a special experience for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

6 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Range date?  You are a lucky guy. 

I think that to myself every single day.

I have asked my wife many many times to go to the range with me. She always says "No, you go ahead."

She really doesn't enjoy shooting. She knows I love shooting so she is all for me having a nice time.

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have asked my wife many many times to go to the range with me. She always says "No, you go ahead."

She really doesn't enjoy shooting. She knows I love shooting so she is all for me having a nice time.

Mrs. Doc enjoys it to an extent. It is frustrating for her because she deals with some astigmatism issues and some arthritis in her hands that make it difficult for her. She is finally seriously contemplating getting her concealed carry license, and takes it seriously enough that she wants to be better than merely proficient if she does.

34 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Mrs. Doc enjoys it to an extent. It is frustrating for her because she deals with some astigmatism issues and some arthritis in her hands that make it difficult for her. She is finally seriously contemplating getting her concealed carry license, and takes it seriously enough that she wants to be better than merely proficient if she does.

Doc,

I am not sure how much she shoots but I was able to get my wife to shoot with me one day a few months ago and I brought all my handguns along. My goal was to find out what my wife shot well and have that gun as a House Gun when I was away from home. The big surprise came when it turned out my wife shot, and liked shooting, my S&W 327 Night Guard. That big 'ol N-framed 8 shot revolver was the one she liked shooting most AND she shot it very well, better than me actually, in both single and double action. I was pleasantly surprised.

I would recommend Mrs. Doc try a variety of guns by size and for cartridge to see what she likes most for CCW. 

Guess I'm lucky. The wife and I have range dates most every Saturday.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Doc,

I am not sure how much she shoots but I was able to get my wife to shoot with me one day a few months ago and I brought all my handguns along. My goal was to find out what my wife shot well and have that gun as a House Gun when I was away from home. The big surprise came when it turned out my wife shot, and liked shooting, my S&W 327 Night Guard. That big 'ol N-framed 8 shot revolver was the one she liked shooting most AND she shot it very well, better than me actually, in both single and double action. I was pleasantly surprised.

I would recommend Mrs. Doc try a variety of guns by size and for cartridge to see what she likes most for CCW. 

Other than some of my shotguns, she has shot pretty much everything I own. The big trap guns are a bit oversized for her though. The Model 65 is the house gun by her choice. She likes shooting my semi-autos, and is pretty good wielding the 1911, but cycling the slide can still be an issue. Recoil doesn't phase her because she learned technique from her father from a young age. She has picked up a couple of bad habits over time, but I think some time spent with a coach other than me will iron those out. Due to the grip strength, when she gets serious, we'll likely be looking at revolvers primarily since she likes revolvers and is comfortable with them. She was in the store one day a couple of months back and I had her try a couple of different semi-autos to see if she could rack the slide. She could rack the slide on the little Browning .380 mini 1911 quite easily. She didn't care for the feel of the Shield EZ. Yes, I've tried every idea I and others can think of regarding cycling actions.

37 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Guess I'm lucky. The wife and I have range dates most every Saturday.

Yes you are, but I am certainly not complaining! Mrs. Doc's first passion is riding horses. When I asked her to marry me, I had already realized that if I were to say "It's either me or the horse," my bag would be packed.

Archived