SASS Wire Forum

Music on the pipes

Pat Riot

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Four keyboards, a couple of hundred switches, half a dozen (or more) foot pedals and they have to read music to boot!  

Yeah, isn't that impressive? :)

I can play an organ, but only the keyboards.  When I learned, I was too short to reach the pedals.

I've always loved hearing the pipe organ at Ohio Wesleyan University's Gray Chapel. It was amazing when part of the choir and it was being played. When I watched my oldest daughter performing with the choir for Beethoven's Ninth, they had one of the emeritus professors of music there to play "Great Gate of Kiev" due to the troubles in Ukraine. It might be even more impressive from the audience!

"Designed and built by Johannes Klais Orgelbau, the Rexford Keller Memorial Organ is available for use by applied organ students. The largest of six Klais organs in the country, this instrument, which is housed in Gray Chapel, is a four manual tracker action organ and has 82 ranks, 55 stops, and 4,644 pipes."

Here's a picture:

Delaware.OhioWesleyan.2013OrgelbauKl.Con

Bagpipes still sound like someone stomping on a bag of cats...regardless of who’s playing them or what other instruments accompany them. :P

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bagpipes still sound like someone stomping on a bag of cats...regardless of who’s playing them or what other instruments accompany them. :P

It may be, but if you have the right blood running through your veins, it's a bag of cats inspiring you to greatness.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

It may be, but if you have the right blood running through your veins, it's a bag of cats inspiring you to greatness.

Supposedly 71% English, 21% Irish, 9% Germanic ... All American ;) :FlagAm:

Doesn’t matter, the blood.  They hurt my ears and annoy me. Now, drums and fifes, that is inspirational! 

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Supposedly 71% English, 21% Irish, 9% Germanic ... All American ;) :FlagAm:

Doesn’t matter, the blood.  They hurt my ears and annoy me. Now, drums and fifes, that is inspirational! 

It's all that English blood... It overpowers any gaelic you may have! Seriously, to each their own. I enjoy the sound of bagpipes. I find fifes a bit shrill. Now pipes and drums... I have Scotland the Brave done with pipes and drums on my running mix. Pretty much impossible for me to break down to a walk while it is playing. 

15 minutes ago, DocWard said:

It's all that English blood... It overpowers any gaelic you may have! Seriously, to each their own. I enjoy the sound of bagpipes. I find fifes a bit shrill. Now pipes and drums... I have Scotland the Brave done with pipes and drums on my running mix. Pretty much impossible for me to break down to a walk while it is playing. 

Want to know the funny thing. All my life my family told me I was mostly Irish. I still never cared for bagpipes...so maybe it is in the blood. Haha :lol:

Archived