SASS Wire Forum

Collecting and Shooting Colt Commemoratives

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Over the last few years, I have made an interesting observation.   With a couple of annoying exceptions, it seems that the various Colt commemorative revolvers they made over the years can be found on the used market for a lot less of an asking price than a contemporary "regular" Colt from the 2nd or 3rd Generation.  This makes them, well, more affordable to obtain.   I can't be the only one to notice this, and while I do find it curious, I am not really wondering why this is so.  Rather, I am wondering, has anyone made a "hobby" of collecting and more importantly, shooting these guns?

Currently, I have 2 such commemoratives in my own collection, and NRA Centennial (Which seems to be the most common one that I see at random at gun shops and at gun shows) in .45 Colt, and a California Bicentennial in .22LR.   I have shot both of them in SASS events, and for fun.   I found the NRA pistol to have a terrible action, it was very rough and sandpaper like.  I actually took it back to Colt for an action job, which was completed rather quickly for a reasonable price, and is now a fine shooter.  The California .22 has been a nice shooter since the day I got it.  I wonder if the gold plating, which I assume is real, but I do not know, has anything to do with it being so smooth.   I will soon have another commemorative to add to my collection, and will give an opinion once it arrives.

Let me say right up front, I consider a gun to be something that is fired.  I will shoot these things, and since they often cost less than other pistols, I figure why not.  But I am going to be curious to see how the action on my newest acquisition will be once it arrives.

So with that said, does anyone else collect and shoot these things, and what has been your assessment of their out of the box quality?

I don't suppose a quantity of one counts as a collection, but the second Colt SAA that I bought was also an NRA Centennial 4 3/4" .45 back about 2000 or '01.  It was well used and had timing issues, so I had Bob Taylor do an action job.  I like the NRA Centennials since the markings on them are fairly innocuous and it looks mostly  like a regular SAA.  I've shot a few thousand rounds through it, but don't too much these days since it doesn't have a "match".  And yes, I do like the fact that it cost less than a similar 2nd Gen Colt would have at the time.

No, HK, you aren’t the only one that noticed the large disparity in price. There are two problems I have found with the commemorative colts. First and foremost is a belief of mine that colt never intended them to be fired. I think they assumed folks would buy them cased and keep them that way. So many of them have really rough actions. That’s not a good reason to steer clear though, as an action job will get them right back to a really good shooter. And most of them were made during second gen production with quality parts. 

The other “flaw” for me is that most of them are really ugly. Strange gold or brass trigger guards, all blue frames, and writing that looks odd. These are purely aesthetics and if they can be overlooked then a cheaper quality colt would be really hard to find. Another option regarding these colts is that they make excellent engraving candidates or customization projects. I have a buddy that has bought a few cheap and turned them into excellent shooters then sold them for a nice profit. I don’t have that skill set, but if I did decide to customize one, I’d look at the commemorative models first. 

I read somewhere that the commemoratives were popular as shooters in some places with strict gun control laws because they were seen as "collectors" guns and that skirted some of the gun laws. I'm with those who say guns are something you shoot. If the commemorative models allow folks a way to do that, more power to them!

I have a vague recollection of the time when Winchester presented serial number 1 of its Roy Rogers commemorative rifle to Roy himself.   People were shocked when he said he was looking forward to taking it out to the range to see how it shoots.   Dismayed by their response, he replied words to the effect of what's the use of owning a gun if you won't shoot it.

I feel the same way.   :)  

What I do find annoying though is that the three Colt commemoratives that I *really* want to obtain, seem to be the only three that are an exception to this lower price rule.

1.  The Winchester/Colt agreement revolver

2.  The SAA Centennial .45 that is set up to military specs, right down to the US stamped on the frame.

3.  The SAA Centennial .44-40 that has the nickel finish.

For some reason these three seem to command premium prices that the other commemoratives do not.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have a vague recollection of the time when Winchester presented serial number 1 of its Roy Rogers commemorative rifle to Roy himself.   People were shocked when he said he was looking forward to taking it out to the range to see how it shoots.   Dismayed by their response, he replied words to the effect of what's the use of owning a gun if you won't shoot it.

I feel the same way.   :)  

What I do find annoying though is that the three Colt commemoratives that I *really* want to obtain, seem to be the only three that are an exception to this lower price rule.

1.  The Winchester/Colt agreement revolver

2.  The SAA Centennial .45 that is set up to military specs, right down to the US stamped on the frame.

3.  The SAA Centennial .44-40 that has the nickel finish.

For some reason these three seem to command premium prices that the other commemoratives do not.

2 and 3 for sure, as they don't come off as commemoratives per se, but rather remakes of guns already made. I want #2 really badly. #1 can be had, without the rifle, for really cheap. I know a guy that bought one for $900 just last year. The same buddy I mentioned earlier bought one and turned it into a really nice shooter.

I picked up 2 NRA Centennials in .357 with 7 1/2" barrels a couple of years ago. One had a very slight cylinder ring and the other was near mint. I paid $875 for one and $1,100 for the other. I also didn't like the gold etched barrels so I bought 2 NOS barrels from SARCO for $96 each. I sent them to Bob James for action jobs and had him change out the barrels and install original Colt Eagle grips. I now have a very fine pair of 2nd gen Colt SAAs in .357 with 7 1/2" barrels that cost a fraction of what they would have normally cost AND I shoot them.

Although not a Colt SAA I pick up a Colt commemorative 1911 World War I a while back. It had been fired and had numerous blemishes in the finish, the rest of which was beautiful royal blue. No case. The price was right and it turned out to be a great shooter.  Best part is that it's a exact replica of the original Colt 1911. Sometimes you get lucky.

Using my C&R I was able to secure two unfired General Meade Commemoratives in .45 LC.  They were less expensive than a regular one. They’re my main match guns. Second Gen. I sent them to the Smith Shop for a Action job.

Archived