SASS Wire Forum

Uberti/Taylor New Model No. 3 Frontier

Flanigan Flats

24 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No. You'd have to be 60 to shoot Senior Duelist, but that does NOT make it an age based category.

Okay that makes sense!! NOT!!!:P

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Switch back to BP,  all ages are lumped together and you won't be confused :P

I'm not blaming you, you're just the messenger, but ya gotta admit this makes NO sense what so ever!

You have to be 60 to shoot Senior Duelist but it's not an aged based category??? Okay my head will soon explode!:blink: 

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm not blaming you, you're just the messenger, but ya gotta admit this makes NO sense what so ever!

You have to be 60 to shoot Senior Duelist but it's not an aged based category??? Okay my head will soon explode!:blink: 

Aren’t you the one always complaining about too many categories anyway? 

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's a style based category with an age restriction, it's not really difficult.

5 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Aren’t you the one always complaining about too many categories anyway? 

No!

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It's a style based category with an age restriction, it's not really difficult.

It's all in the words, which is really stupid I think. Okay fine!! I'll still shoot Senior Duelist and NO I won't shoot black powder for how ever long I live!!;) 8 years was enough, I'm enjoying the ease of the smokeyless stuff!:P

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, Flanigan Flats said:

I was finally able to get my paws on these today!!!  Taylor's and UPS did not play nice. Then the FFL dealer took the 24th-26th off.  It will be the weekend before I can shoot them, so I guess no it really did not hurt much other than my patience.  They feel good in my hands. My left hand is going to take a bit of practice.  I included a picture with my original.  

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

Have you had the change to shoot them yet?  What did you think?

And if I am following correctly, this model comes with an adjustable rear sight?  Is that SASS legal?

Thanks!

Traditionally designed single action revolvers are deemed to be an "unsafe" design by the state, and are thus not allowed to be sold.   Among other things, they don't have a safety, and if dropped when loaded, they can go bang.

The only single action revolver that has been approved for sale here is the Ruger.   Only guns made before 1998 are exempt, and ONLY if you can prove they were registered in the state prior to that date.  If you can't prove it, you can't buy them elsewhere and bring them in.

20 minutes ago, Deadly Double J, SASS# 25626 said:

Have you had the change to shoot them yet?  What did you think?

And if I am following correctly, this model comes with an adjustable rear sight?  Is that SASS legal?

Thanks! 

Short answer is yes.  They shoot point of aim for me and are very accurate.  I like the way they feel and handle very much.

Long answer.  Out of the box one gun is perfect.  The other about 10 digits younger has problems.  The little lip that holds the cylinder in was to long and the cases were hitting it and it and the cylinder was locking up.  You could see this with the revolver open, the cylinder would not free spin when loaded.  I worked on that and the cylinder now free spins when the revolver is open.  It seems to fire 45 colts ok.  If loaded with 45 Scofield's it looses it's timing.  The other one seems to shoots colts and Scofield's just fine. 

That being said the morning I shot them I started out with both revolvers loaded with 45 colts.  Both guns locked up on the 3rd shot.  Primers were backing out the fired cases.  I shoot these same loads in my Rugers with no issues.  So??  My brass is all mismatched and old.  Maybe the primer pockets are loose?  But again there is not any trouble from Rugers.  I shifted to the Scofield's and first cylinder out of each gun was flawless.  Second cylinder and the problematic revolver jumped timing.  Other revolver shot fine.  I put 2 more cylinders of colts through the functioning revolver with no issues.  My wife is one of the federal workers being held hostage by our politicians (working without pay).  It is my intent when she begins being paid again to get a box or 2 of factory cowboy 45 colts and put those through the guns and revaluate.  As I read on the wire awhile ago, Uberti's are just assembled parts kits. 

Yes these revolvers come with adjustable rear sights.  They are legal in SASS categories that allow adjustable rear sights.  I shoot either double duelist or most often Classic Cowboy.  Adjustable rear sights are not allowed in these categories.  I have ordered a pair of Russian latches from VTI.  They are back ordered with no idea when they will show up.  I hope to soon order (when my wife starts getting paid) the lanyard loops that come on the Russians as well.  I like that look on my original (see above).  When I have everything together it is my intent to send them off for tuning and getting the latches and loops installed.  I will either have the factory grips checkered or install others.

While I am on here and typing, who works on Uberti No. 3's?  

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Traditionally designed single action revolvers are deemed to be an "unsafe" design by the state, and are thus not allowed to be sold.   Among other things, they don't have a safety, and if dropped when loaded, they can go bang.

The only single action revolver that has been approved for sale here is the Ruger.   Only guns made before 1998 are exempt, and ONLY if you can prove they were registered in the state prior to that date.  If you can't prove it, you can't buy them elsewhere and bring them in.

So pretty much all cowboy shooters in Mass. shoot Rugers?  I guess that is good for Ruger.  How many clubs are there in Mass?  I guess you are in a situation where it would be tough to move?  I grew up in Maine.  I do not think I could ever live in New England again. 

16 hours ago, Flanigan Flats said:

So pretty much all cowboy shooters in Mass. shoot Rugers?  I guess that is good for Ruger.  How many clubs are there in Mass?  I guess you are in a situation where it would be tough to move?  I grew up in Maine.  I do not think I could ever live in New England again. 

If you want a new gun, you pretty much have to get a Ruger.   But, at the several clubs that I have shot at in this state, they don't seem to overwhelmingly dominate the game.   I myself have a couple of dozen Main Match revolvers, and there is not a Ruger in the bunch.  Because of the import restrictions, used Colts, and even clones are more expensive here than in the rest of the country. 

The only other option for a NEW gun would be a cap & ball revolver, and there is no law against doing a conversion.

Antique guns are just as unregulated here as they are according to Federal Law.

Your only other option is to go the C&R route, which does allow a holder of said license to import C&R type firearms into the state.   But, they can then only be sold to other C&R holders.  It is not common to see guns in local shops with the words "C&R Only" on the price tag.  

One other thing that the C&R would let buy brand new would be a Colt Sheriff's model, which as long as it is .44 or .45, are C&R from the day they are made.   Or, if you want to get a new Colt, get one with factory engraving and a letter to prove it was ordered with the engraving, and that gun is C&R.    BUT, Colt won't ship such a gun to a Mass state C&R holder.   Learned this the hard way.   :(

Living in Mass, the C&R is pretty much a necessity.  And, there is a nice little extra benefit.   Any gun ever made turns into C&R on it's 50th birthday.   Massachusetts bans the AR-15.  Early AR-15's are now C&R.   C&R's are exempt...

I may get another one just to thumb my nose at the Commonwealth.

Archived