SASS Wire Forum

Bodhi Day

DocWard

Since Buddhism has come up a time or two, I decided to go ahead and mention that today is observed by a number of Buddhist sects as Bodhi Day, or "Rohatsu" in Japanese, the 8th Day of the 12th Month. Zen Buddhists in particular, as well as many Western Buddhists, observe and celebrate on this day, while for those who follow a lunar calendar, the day shifts over time. The Chinese will observe Bodhi Day on the 13th of January, for example. Some sects observe another day, "Vesak" which celebrates the birth, enlightenment and passing to Nirvana of the Buddha. Given that it fits with the holiday season, I choose Rohatsu.

At any rate, Bodhi Day celebrates the enlightenment of Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha. It can be celebrated in numerous ways. Some of which will seem quite familiar. Those who have a ficus tree of the type Ficus religiosa, which is the type of tree (the 'Bodhi Tree') Siddhartha sat under as he gained enlightenment, may choose to light it, or add three crystals representing the three jewels of Buddhism. Candles are sometimes lit for the 30 days leading up to Bodhi Day. Some participate in intense meditation.

As for myself, I'm not quite "traditional" in most things I do. This day is no different. We have a small live spruce this year that is lighted for Christmas, but no ficus religiosa. I will note the day, and make mention of it to those I know who are or may be interested. I will meditate, of course, and will try to be more mindful of those things I do. I may include rice and milk as part of one of my meals.

I will include my friends here in my meditations, and close with a traditional Buddhist wish. May the peace of the Buddha be upon you. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Doc,

Thanks for the insight.

May you too receive serenity and enlightenment in your meditations.

Thank you all for the kind replies. They truly mean more to me than I can express.

I've had a pleasant day, and where possible, I've avoided multi-tasking and tried to be mindful and in the present. Often easier said than done, but today I made that effort.

Again, Happy Bodhi Day, everyone. In a couple of weeks, I look forward to wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

Archived