SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2019 Long Range announcement

Howdy all Winter Range long-range shooters.

I want to update you to some changes to the Wednesday long range side match events and respond to some of the important shooter comments I read after WR 2018.
First of all I am adding a new event with the help of my shooting pard Flatulent Fred.  We will have Take No Prisoners on the 300 yard range for the first time this year.  A description is on the webpage at: Winter Range Long Range Events

I have heard good reports about this event and look forward to seeing some steely eyed shooters shoot a long-range event fast!  Yeehaw!  For the first year, the awards will be certificates designed by yours truly.  Sure to be collector items!

Based on shooter comments I will be moving the 2 foot by 3 foot Quigley target to 385 meters on the rifle silhouette range.  That is about 130 yards closer. Aim small, miss small.

A target at Stage 13 will be provided for checking sight settings and firearm function.  It will be set at 300 yards.  It will be available starting Monday February 19th at 8:30 am.  The range is CLOSED prior to that date for setup. A Ranger must be present for you to shoot.

All the 300 yard match targets will be repainted as needed to make it easier for spotters to call hits.  I will make the call when one of the targets gets difficult to identify where on the plate the bullet struck.

As a reminder, please read the stage requirements and course of fire for the events you want to shoot before the match.  See the link above. The same information is posted on the tables on the range. Distances posted are within a couple yards of how the targets are set up.  Distances are checked with measuring tape or range finder.

I will be reviewing all the results prior to presenting the awards to make sure nothing is omitted or amiss.  All shooters will be listed on the posted results for each event.

Finally, there have been some comments about spotter volunteers.  If you are a long-range shooter you know spotting for long range is certainly not the same as at a cowboy main match.  A shooting string may last for 2 minutes and you don’t know when the shot will break so you need to stay on the scope. The spotter is there to help (if requested) the shooter make any corrections to get hits.  We will have new target hit flashers that should be more reliable and less likely to fail.  BUT, the spotter is still the final say on whether it was a hit.

In my experience the best volunteers are long range shooters themselves.  Please volunteer to work before or after you shoot.  Contact me via IM and I will get your information to pass on to Turquoise Bill, the WR wrangler of volunteers.

Coconino Pistolero, Winter Range Long Range Events Director

Sounds like some good improvements!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish it had been like this in 2016 , when I made my 3,500 mile round trip to shoot WR ...

Long range was the Biggest disappointment of the trip ...

When I got back home I desided that WR was Likely a once in a life trip for me ....

But that said I really like the new format .... And had I know about these changes 2 months ago, I might have considered going to WR in 2019...

As I missed several shoots this summer due to three of my Kids getting married this summer ...

Jabez Cowboy

I'm making cartridges I have 50% made for all of the 9 types  that I shoot a Winter Range  and  still need more.

Just picked up an '03 Springfield in 30/06 full Mil dress. !  Hope I can get something loaded up for it in time.  We hit the road for a Christmas Visit early Dec.Not much time left.

Never developed a 30/06 load with lead bullets.  Any suggestions? I just happen to have a couple hundred 160 Gr bullets on hand so for now that is the only option for bullet.

I have loaded up a few with 25 and 26 Grs of 5744 .

Sorry about shortening the Quigley Bucket.

Otherwise OK

Archived