SASS Wire Forum

Sept 29, 1983

On the day my sons births, I kept the entire edition of our daily paper, the Kansas City Times/Star as a souvenir. My older son now has his copy, and my younger son who turns 35 at the end of the month will be given his copy. Hard to believe that so much time has flown by. Hope he enjoys seeing what was considered news on that day.

Having just finished reading that 35 year old paper, what struck me is that the headlines and stories are basically the same as today. Sure, names have changed, but sports, local, national and international events & politics, not so much. Professional sports player/team controversies, war in the Middle East, mouthy activists, the economy, Hollywood, well, you get the picture.

Here we are 35 years later chugging along, despite what the media tells us. I think in the long run, we're gonna be OK and shouldn't get our panties in too tight of a wad on a daily basis.

Feeling philosophical tonite. My 2 cents and nothing more. :) 

Abilene  Have you got a KCS from Oct 22, 1948?  I was born in the old St Joseph hospital in KC then.  Glad your boys have those momentos.

Imis

11 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

On the day my sons births, I kept the entire edition of our daily paper, the Kansas City Times/Star as a souvenir. My older son now has his copy, and my younger son who turns 35 at the end of the month will be given his copy. Hard to believe that so much time has flown by. Hope he enjoys seeing what was considered news on that day.

Having just finished reading that 35 year old paper, what struck me is that the headlines and stories are basically the same as today. Sure, names have changed, but sports, local, national and international events & politics, not so much. Professional sports player/team controversies, war in the Middle East, mouthy activists, the economy, Hollywood, well, you get the picture.

Here we are 35 years later chugging along, despite what the media tells us. I think in the long run, we're gonna be OK and shouldn't get our panties in too tight of a wad on a daily basis.

Feeling philosophical tonite. My 2 cents and nothing more. :) 

Me too, Abilene. They don't call them talking heads for no reason. 

Without a disaster, they got nothing. Apparently it is too much work to find out some facts and then report 

that and let the unwashed masses decide for themselves.  :)

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wisdom!

14 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Back then we had Michael Jackson. Now we have Kanye West. Sorry, things are worse. :mellow:

I worked hard in the 1980s and 1990s.  I think.  It's a blur.  Photos help a bit, kid's memories help a bit.  But dang, where did my life go?

I sometimes envy those who lived without internet, TV.  And then I get a FaceTime call from my daughter and grandson in Arkansas...what would my grandparents have given to have such easy communication with distant loved ones?

I'm glad I live today.  I have access to good health care, a car with air conditioning, a wife who still puts up with me after 48 years.  I will cook breakfast for both of us tomorrow, do the dishes, and catch up on the Wire tomorrow morning.

Screw the news media.   We are doing OK.

Archived