SASS Wire Forum

The Magnificent Seven

DocWard

Coming on Turner Classic Movies. Does it get much better? The musical scores certainly don't!

The German always annoys me.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's his job in the first third of the movie. 

He succeeded

8 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Count how many times McQueen plays with his hat or something to steal the attention away from Yul Brenner in a scene. You know, like shaking shotgun shells beside his ear before loading them.

But in ways that makes it seem he's just playing the part.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

I read that this caused a major rift between the two of them that didn't end until Yul was dying and Steve came and apologized.

From imdb:

In later years, Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen reconciled. McQueen, dying of cancer, called Brynner to thank him. "What for?" queried Brynner. "You coulda had me kicked off the movie when I rattled you," replied McQueen, "but you let me stay and that picture made me, so thanks". Brynner told him, "I am the king and you are the rebel prince: every bit as royal . . . and dangerous to cross." McQueen said, "I had to make it up with Yul 'cause without him I wouldn't have been in that picture."

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

From imdb:

That’s a cool story

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

But in ways that makes it seem he's just playing the part.

Then there's the whole horse thing.

Ever notice the one Yul uses is almost big enough to be half Percheron?  There's a reason for that.

Still enjoy the original. Was in the hospital last week and the new one was available to watch. Didn't even finish it. Turned back to The Animal Planet.

24 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I didn't know about the conflict between the two. Interesting.

It wasn't so much a conflict as McQueen intentionally set out to steal scenes- even those where he had no lines-  and was very good at it.  If you watch him, he's always doing something- gestures, facial expressions, playing with his gun, belt, hat, or moving in some way to draw attention away from the folks with the dialogue and to himself.  The movie was meant to be a Yul Brenner film and Brenner knew it.  HE was the star and it drove him crazy so badly that he actually complained to the producers about it.

Seriously, in all the Westerns you've watched (and this is a crew of Western aficionados), how many characters have you seen portrayed quite like what McQueen did in the Magnificent Seven?  It didn't come from The Seven Samurai- the Kurosawa film that is was based upon.  I know that the first time I saw it, I kept looking for that "McQueen" character and it just ain't there.  The rest, you can see in the corresponding characters but McQueen is all original.

I loved the movie and never had a clue what y'all are talking about!  Cheers, Hoss C.

Archived