SASS Wire Forum

Made Some 22LR Shot Shells - For Giggles & Pidgeons

John Boy

Ordered a bag of #4 gelatin capsules  and reloading is a piece of cake - if you have nimble fingers:
* Plug a Lee 0.3cc dipper to drop x.xx grs of Bullseye ... the x.xx is 'The Lawrence Welk" number ;)
* Fill primed empty 22LR case with powder from dipper
* Separate the capsule and fill with #12 shot
* Close capsule
* Insert the capsule into the primed case with the short end into the case 'First"
* Short end of the capsule forms a tight seal in the case
* Move capsule down in the case so the COAL length is 0.980, same length as a standard 22LR ... Done!

OK - Next venture ... load a box of 50 shot shells:
* Put 50 primed empty cases in an empty Win 209 primer tray
* With the plugged 0.03cc Lee dipper, fill each case
* Then fill 50 capsules with #12 shot
* Again, seat the filled capsules in the 22LR case. I don't have to measure the COAL of the reloads because there is a top band on the capsule that just below is 0.980" :rolleyes:
Put the reloads in an empty 22LR box = Done
* Total reloading time for 50 shotshells = a tad over 45 minutes
* Number of pieces of shot in one capsule = 169

image.jpeg.4f889e677dbdcca0968420a0bb4663a6.jpeg

Very interesting.  At what point does the shot exit it’s gelatin case?  When it leaves the barrel or not until it strikes the target?  

Also, do you pull the bullets from .22 cartridges or purchase empty primes cases?  Thanks. 

Seamus

Very interesting.  At what point does the shot exit it’s gelatin case?  When it leaves the barrel or not until it strikes the target?  

Also, do you pull the bullets from .22 cartridges or purchase empty primes cases?  Thanks. 

Seamus ;

* Gelatin melts at 95 degrees F - nitro smokeless powder flashes at a much higher temperature ... answer = pellets exit in the barrel when the capsule melts

* I purchased Aquila primed empty cases in 2002 - can't buy them anymore

I've used the Speer Shot Capsules to load .45 shot shells.  Readily available, comes with load data, and you can use your own primed centerfire brass.  Available for .38, .44, and .45.

da287b5d55144738b465a2bcdcdda47b.jpg

John Boy,

Very innovative. I didn’t know primed .22 cases were available any where.

I found this article a while back and came very close to trying it. I just never got around to it and forgot about it until I saw this thread. There is s company called AMG that makes a .22lr reloading kit. I have no idea how reliable it is.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/11/reloading-22lr-ammo/

Here is another .22 reloading kit I just found. I think I know how they make the primer material but I won’t post it here. If nothing else their site is entertaining. 

https://www.brassworldeshop.com/sharpshooter22rimfirereloadingkits22lr22magreloader.aspx

11 hours ago, John Boy said:

Dutch - Thanks for the link.  Since I have the shot already, do believe am going to reload some 45's. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010937313/speer-empty-shot-capsules-45-colt-long-colt-box-of-25

Just go easy on the roll crimp!  :D

I shattered the first one I loaded, because I didn't dial the crimp back!

I can't count how many rattle snake I've killed around the ranch with pistol caliber shot loads.  I've used factory 22LR & 38sp shot shells.  I've also hand loaded the Speer 45 Colt shot shells. 

They all seem to work for the intended purpose, but the larger shot charges from the 45 are definitely more effective on rattle snakes.  I've even hip shot a rattle snake moving fast in high grass right by the barn.  Stopped him right there.

Btw, a shovel works pretty good too!

Archived