SASS Wire Forum

The week I was born...

Three Foot Johnson

There's an entry on February 23, saying, "Buy life insurance for Rob $12.90"... I wonder if that's still around...

On February 27, "Received $100.00 separation pay" (US Army, 1954 - January 25, 1956)

March 2, "Paid doctor bill $108.00" (There went his separation pay!)

March 30, "In to town, buy chain saw... Chain saw - $247.00" (A chainsaw in 1956 was over double what the doctor bill was!)

7 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

There's an entry on February 23, saying, "Buy life insurance for Rob $12.90"... I wonder if that's still around...

On February 27, "Received $100.00 separation pay" (US Army, 1954 - January 25, 1956)

March 2, "Paid doctor bill $108.00" (There went his separation pay!)

March 30, "In to town, buy chain saw... Chain saw - $247.00" (A chainsaw in 1956 was over double what the doctor bill was!)

And I’d bet you’d give anything to have that chain saw compared to the quality of one priced like that today

I remember them talking about the plane crash on the 8th from time to time. After the remains were removed, the site wasn't secured, so they walked out in the field to take a look. Dad said he found one of the deceased's lower jawbone and picked it up and set it on one of the wings. :blink:

Another plane crash in the same spot on April 8, 1988 killed our Secretary of State, Jim Waltermire. He was a GOP gubernatorial candidate that year... hmmm...

Reminds me of the papers that I found when I cleaned out my parents house when my mom moved to an assisted living apartment. In her file cabinets medical section she still had the paper work from the hospital when I was born (1951). The grand total for six days in the hospital, some aspirin and a ambulance ride home for the two of us was $112...that is one hundred and twelve dollars...probable about the cost of those aspirin would come to today. 

My first child's hospital bill was $125 and that was 1962.

That is wonderful that you have a written summary of history from your father. 

One of my favorite books is "Letters From Dad" by Greg Vaughn. 

A man realized that he had no handwritten letters from his father. 

So, he started writing letters to his children, his wife, and others to tell them how he loved them, special memories, and what he believed. 

Something we should all consider doing, don't you think?

Archived