SASS Wire Forum

I just got TIRED OF IT......

Widder, SASS #59054

I have an official work shop in my basement.

FIVE work tables with stuff on each of them for different task.

Well, it seems that I was getting tired of all the sweet smelling, perfume like, gun cleaning solutions and lubricants.   My 'gun room' just didn't seem to have that 'right' smell, if you know what I mean.

Sooooooooooooo, yesterday I bought me a couple bottles of Hoppes #9.    Poured one bottle into a spray bottle.   I left the empty bottle open on the work table to allow the smell to permeate and of course, will use the spray bottle to spray on dirt and grime.

NOW, the work room smells right.   There's just something about Hoppes #9 that seems to give proper 'christening' to a gun room.

And as the old commercial use to say......."A Little Dab Will Do Ya".

..........Widder

My favorite Hoppe's aroma story was with my long-gone Chocolate Lab, Mousse.  

The first Fall we owned him, I decided to get my O/U cleaned up and ready to use.  Watching TV, pulled out the kit and ran a patch soaked in Hoppe's down the barrel.  The dog caught the scent and went crazy.  Jumped up on the sofa and sniffed at the gun like crazy.  Up and down, around in tight circles, begging to go out in the field.  This dog had never hunted, yet clearly understood (genetically?) that it was time to go find birds.

Hoppe's speaks to us all, 2 legged and four.

LL

Got to agree!  Found Hoppe's # 9 air fresheners a few years ago,  like the pine trees you hang in the car.  Looked and smelled like a little bottle.     GW

I admit I rarely use Hoppes but I do keep a bottle on the shelf and open it occasionally just for the ambience. ;)

51 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I admit I rarely use Hoppes but I do keep a bottle on the shelf and open it occasionally just for the ambience. ;)

Who knows....... maybe in a couple years it might be discovered that the 'ambience' of Hoppes #9 cures diabetes or shingles... ;)

Every gun owner needs to keep atleast 1 bottle of it to help ward off evil spirits.

Crook #1:  'Lets get outta here.....FAST.   I ain't breaking into this place.

Crook #2:  'WHY the sudden change of plans?'

Crook #1:  'I smell Hoppes #9.   I ain't got no business hanging around here'.

..........Widder

I once suggested to a friend that Hoppes should market a perfume for women. His reply was "It's too tough for me to keep my hands off of them now, it wouldn't be good if they smelled like guns too!"

Ah, isoamyl acetate............brings back many fond memories.

Sorry,  besides a hunter and cowboy, I'm a chemist geek.

On 9/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

'Tain't nothing compared to what I used in the army.

and they said all that stuff wasn't dangerous.

Archived