SASS Wire Forum

Photographing the Eclipse with a Smart Phone OR NOT!

Pat Riot

My grandson asked me if he could photograph the eclipse with his smart phone. I did not know so I went to Google for answers. 

Here is what I found so I thought I would share.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/Photographing the Eclipse with your Smartphone.pdf

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/can-i-photograph-eclipse-my-smartphone

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/13/take-pictures-solar-eclipse-smartphone/

The third one down explains phone settings to get a decent shot.

I did find that with my eye phone, once you reduce the exposure if you move the camera (phone) at all it will reset the camera to it's normal settings.

Magnification and a tripod will be necessary for a good shot. I am going to try binoculars. I will need to do some experimentation before the 21st to see if binoculars will work I also have a spotting scope with a tripod. maybe that might work once I figure out how to attached the phone to the scope.

Howdy,

Watch it on TV and record it.

Best

CR

Remember if you screw up you could have a C shaped burn in your retina for rest of your life.

Most smart phones have a built in system that protects the camera from over exposure to bright direct sunlight.  That's why you can photograph a sunset or sunrise without problems.  Of course, the protection algorithm will distort all other colors within the exposure, but even that can produce cool effects at times.

If you read the third link that I posted above you will see that the phone camera will not be harmed if you follow the instructions in the link.

This aint got nothing to do with a phone, but since you brought up binoculors and spotting scopes ... if you're planning to use one of those to look at the eclipse with your eyes, make sure the eclipse filter is on the big end of the optics, not on your face. 

I guess I'm lazy.  I'll wait for the professionals with their fancy & expensive equipment to take the eclipse pictures and video and after they get posted I'll just book mark the sites.

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

I guess I'm lazy.  I'll wait for the professionals with their fancy & expensive equipment to take the eclipse pictures and video and after they get posted I'll just book mark the sites.

I think you may be on to something here. I got so mad at my phone yesterday trying to set this scenario up I nearly threw the "Dang" thing into the next county. I think a professional print will suffice now and the artist can make a little money for his or her efforts.:D

I think I will kick back and enjoy the eclipse. Screw fooling with the dang phone.

Archived