SASS Wire Forum

One shot transition drills.

Procedural Pete

I would be interested to know some of your split times doing one shot transition drills. Also the order you fired your guns for those split times. Such as pistol, pistol, rifle, shotgun. Thanks in advance for those willing to share.

For me, I usually work pistols one day, rifle another and then shotgun when doing One Shot drills.  If I am working with all the guns, then I usually do 10-10-4 drills, then it's pistol, rifle shotgun 99% of the time.

I always use a par timer to gauge my progress and play 'beat the beep', meaning have the pistol holstered, rifle laid down or shotgun shell shucked prior to the par time expiring.

If you are just starting out, use the timer to get a baseline on your current speed, maybe average time of the three runs.  Then use that as your par time.

Do smooth drills where you are working on your draw or re-holster with the above par time.  Then work on speed, by knocking a sec or two off the par time and try to "beat the beep".

This will help you gauge and track your progress.

This approach has worked for me, but I ain't no Smokestack or Duece. :)

Totes

2 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

1 shot each pistol, 1 shot rifle and 2 shotgun is around 7 seconds last time I tried it. 

Randy

Randy is faster than me (everyone already knew that!), but shooting duelist style, just getting one shot downrange from each firearm without trying to hit a target, pistol-pistol-rifle-shotgun (double), I'm pleased with about 8 seconds.  Sorry I can't give you specific splits.  I'm in the middle of the bell curve nationally, I think.

35 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Trying to catch up to other people's times will not help you get the most out of this drill. As stated before, establish a personal baseline and chip away at that. 

This times a bunch!!!!!

Another consideration to be dealt with is a super fast transition (particularly when dry firing) that is sloppy or out of control can lead to misses in live fire that can take longer to fix than the fast transition took to build in the first place. Get your style and speed right (as measured by a timer) for YOU then work on building additional speed from there.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm with Smokestack. Get someone to time you now and set a bench mark. Say your at 10 sec. Then set the par time on your timer for 9 and try to beat it. When you can consistently beat it......set it for 8. 

Archived