SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Bullseye Minimum Load for .38 105 grain bullet

Kid Ricky Bobby

I'm a reloading novice.  What would be the minimum grain load of Alliant Bullseye powder for a .38 caliber 105 grain bullet to be able to meet the SASS minimum power factor?  I've looked online for manual and reloading data and have not found anything.  Thanks. 

There is no way anyone one can give you a "minimum" load that willl meet power factor in YOUR guns.  Look at reloading manuals (most are on-line) and go from there.  The only way to tell what velocity you are actually getting is to chronograph the loads from your guns.  If you can't find data for the 105 look at the next nearest weight.

9 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

There is no way anyone one can give you a "minimum" load that willl meet power factor in YOUR guns.  Look at reloading manuals (most are on-line) and go from there.  The only way to tell what velocity you are actually getting is to chronograph the loads from your guns.  If you can't find data for the 105 look at the next nearest weight.

Ditto.

Barrel length, crimp (or lack thereof), etc..... effect velocity.   Even pistols of the same make, caliber, barrel length, etc..... can give different velocity averages.  

Check the online reloading info or manuals and stay within the printed recommendations.

..........Widder

I would caution one to not get too locked in on the MINIMUM load , just develop a load that works well. Way more problems arise from trying to get powder puff loads than middle-of-the-road loads that will work all the time.

But that's just my opinion , YMMV.

Rex , who fills his cases with 2F black. :D

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Pace said:

I'm a reloading novice.  What would be the minimum grain load of Alliant Bullseye powder for a .38 caliber 105 grain bullet to be able to meet the SASS minimum power factor?  I've looked online for manual and reloading data and have not found anything.  Thanks. 

If you're going the Bar 3 this weekend, I'll bring a chrony. You need at least 600 fps and about 650/675 would be better.

If your loads are so light that they don't make bullet splashes, then some spotters will call your light hits as misses.  My wife had that problem with her 100 grain .32 bullets.  I increased the powder charge so her bullets would make a very visible splashes and the spotters became better seeing hits.  Like others I don't recommend going for a minimum powder charge.  The NRA Reloading Handbook has a section on using minimum charges of Bullseye in revolver rounds.  Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of that page.

I've never had an issue with bullets not splashing.  I'm just trying to make sure my ammo is ok.  If it's not, it's close.  I tried to send a PM, not sure if I did it right.  Any help would be appreciated.  

"The NRA Reloading Handbook has a section on using minimum charges of Bullseye in revolver rounds." 

The classic 38 special 148 grain wadcutter load of 2.7 grains of Bullseye blowup has never been duplicated in a laboratory. Double charge is the answer. I am a firm believer that you will get a bullet stuck or it will leave the barrel. I do not advocate that someone load down until it dribbles out the barrel. But I do not object to those trying minimum loads.

Archived