SASS Wire Forum

Q&A on New Forum Software

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:40 AM, Christopher Carson said:

I'm not receiving notifications via e-mail.  I've gone to account settings, and everything is turned on... including all the e-mail options at the bottom of that settings page... and I get the notification red flag up by the bell and a pop-up at the bottom of the browser window... but I'm not receiving anything at all my e-mail.  I've check the online junk folder, and my Outlook client junk and McAffee spam folders, nada.  Help?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

1. If you didn't check Outlook's SPAM folder for you on their server, do so. If SASS messages are there, loosen your SPAM setting and add sasswire@sassnet.com to your White Mail list there. Also add it to your PC's address book.

Did that, both previously (several times), and again just now.  My e-mail server's (Hotmail) junk folder and the on-line McAfee anti-spam folder are both empty.  My local email client's (Outlook) junk folder and anti-spam folders are both empty.  After checking all that, I did add sasswire@sassnet.com to safe senders lists in all places... but I didn't have any notification e-mails captured in there anyway.

2. As a mass of people aren't reporting this, it is likely to be your personal settings here or the things listed in No. 1. I get email notifications with the following settings.

• Go to Settings, Account Settings in the drop-down menu next to your name.
  • On the right, under Other Settings, select Notification settings.
  • Check the first box for "Send me news and information.
  • Under Method to use for Content I Follow Automatically, select A notification when new content is posted.
  • Under Notification Preferences, if desired check the first and last box.
  • Click the Save button.

Did that, both previously (several times) and re-checked just now.  The first four boxes in the upper list (Send me news... etc.) are checked, always have been.  Further below in the Notifications List, every option that can be checked ON -- in both columns -- is ON.

Let me know if it works.

Neither of these seem to cause anything different.  No notifications received in email.

Thanks for looking at it for me!

You might remember I just had my account remade a few weeks ago because I wasn't able to post anything anywhere.  Can't see how that would be germane, but I mention it just in case.   Can't really think of anything else useful.  Seems I ought to be receiving email notifications, but... I'm not.

-Chris

***** I just sent you a private message (PM), let me know if you get it.****

Chris,

Double check that your email address doesn't have a typo in it.

Chris, PM Allie Mo your email address and I will verify it is correct and fix it if not.

Edited by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

• 3 weeks later...

Did we ever find out about the post counts? I showed well over 4,000 posts before, then 1,900-some afterwards.....seems a little strange. I wonder what

the criteria were for the "new" count.

I haven't heard a thing. I have seen that the provider's employees have been online.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any plans to increase the size of the photos that one can post here on The Wire?

51kb is seriously limiting. I could understand if this was limit on an avatar - which is 10kb (the same size it was back in the days of phone modems...ahem)

Anyway, Lason Pettfogger made a very good point in the thread titled "Ruger Problem" on the Wire page. 51kb is very limiting when trying to show a technical or detailed picture. I can understand that there are bandwidth and storage issues but 51kb makes it really hard to post a decent photo.

Thank you.

Have you tried it lately? I increased the size a few weeks ago and have seen other people post large pictures, including Larson in his second post on that thread. If the original photo is small, it isn't going to be larger here..

I will give it a try. What is the size limit now?...and Thank You :D

Wahoo! You're right. I posted a 365kb photo a little while ago and I didn't even realize that a photo I posted yesterday was 195kb. Thank you Allie. :D

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

Has anyone found the Members List? If so, where is it.

Thanks,

Allie

Enter the alias into the search tern window at the top right of the page.  Then the right side of the search window will give you a drop down menu of search options.

Members.png

Edited by Sedalia Dave

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The person who was asking this question was looking for an alias. So, I'm not sure that was helpful. I entered the letter "a" and came up with a plethora of banned users.

Alias Lookup is under the membership tab of the main page

Personal messages to other cowpokes..

Old wire.. I did it quite regularly.. Never seemed to have any problems..

New wire.. I get notifications of "likes" on my posts..

I get notifications of "someone quoted you"

but I'm having a hard time messaging another wire contributor..

Finding them, if they haven't posted for a while..

(is there an easier way to find a fellow cowpoke?)

I have tried putting "members list" in search window to no avail..

But then, after fiinally finding one of their posts..

Going to their letter icon... Posting a message..

I have never got a notification that he responded..

Rance ;)

thinkin frustration..:unsure:

Let me know if you got a notification that I replied to your message it should show in the letter icon and an email, unless that is turned off.

Miss Allie,

Any chance the "Home" button at the top could bring us to the "SASS Home Page" ? It's of little use here on the wire. IMHO

Much Obliged--Eyesa

No, It allows for the display of all private forums that are used by the RO Committee, RO Instructors, Territorial Governors, and the Mounted Advisory. These are not visible when you select the SASS Forums link.

Sedalia Dave had the answer to how to get to a members alias.

Below are the detailed steps to get there:

591dc29b4243d_MembersList-Step1.JPG.da12021cfda88906bc5dd824f54d902a.JPG

In the upper left hand corner of the HOME screen you will find the Search Icon.

Place your cursor in the Search Window and click.

The following screen will appear.

591dc299dfac9_MembersList-Step2.JPG.0277d24495865c24bac5244e3403cd13.JPG

Click on the All Content Drop Down Menu and the following choices will appear:

591dc297de411_MembersList-Step3.JPG.993de60c1c7d4830aca4566f40d69e19.JPG

Click on the Members choice, and the following will appear:

591dc295d5365_MembersList-Step4.JPG.6a979c0d63e945c016ba66179f9c3b17.JPG

On the OLD System, there was an option to choose members, and you would find the alphabet running across the top of the screen. Choosing a letter of the alphabet would pull up a list of members whose alias begins with that letter, listed in subsequent alphabetical order.

With the NEW System, you have to go through this process to choose the letter of the alphabet you seek.

If you are looking for a member and you know their alias, you can type in the alias to go directly to that member. If you are searching for someone you do not know their full alias, but know what it begins with you can enter the first letter here.

591dc2934a117_MembersList-Step5.JPG.3648dd8ae80e193963be5ad7a82a3785.JPG

Then choose the  591dc29467bd9_MembersList-Step6.JPG.d63f3d61ec732dc21a845224d1b4c29e.JPG icon, and the following screen will appear.

591dc292130e2_MembersList-Step7.thumb.JPG.51a0cbeaa5b55350dc1993c1486c7c15.JPG

The number of members with that letter of the alphabet will appear and provide you with tabs to progress through them as shown below.

591dc2902a287_MembersList-Step8.JPG.d980a0f2252d1c381e1a5ce25d1d289f.JPG

You can narrow your search by clicking on the + More search options which brings up the following screen:

591dc28f05947_MembersList-Step8A.thumb.JPG.61a1ff96e837828fecb32b31698347fe.JPG

Unclick any you do not want in order to narrow your search.

591dc28c559fd_MembersList-Step8B.thumb.JPG.3531c7b0097cf199f791385ca725ccd9.JPG

Obviously searching with a portion of the name yields fewer results:

591dc28a16d3a_MembersList-Step8C.thumb.JPG.b20d811b440a74e0b0214b66baf1eed8.JPG

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE. :lol:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

LOL! Thanks Dave. He was looking to jog his memory about an individual's alias, not the availability of an alias. I wish he'd post a description of who he is looking for, as I don't like to reveal details of PMs.

Ms. Allie:

I was going to post a picture of an actor. I had remembered in reading the threads that there was someone who used that actor as their avatar. I could not recall the members alias, only that he used this actors' picture for his avatar.

I was looking for the member listing so I could scan through the member list and see if I ran across this members avatar.

I was trying to be discrete in the search so as not to forewarn the member. Kind of like stealing your thunder, or giving you the punch line before telling the joke.

Sedalia Dave provided the impetus to get me where I needed to go; however, with not knowing any part of the alias, searching through the 100,000+ listings would be fruitless.

I appreciate your posting the thread that at least provided an answer to where to find the member listings, even though on the old system it was much easier to get to. The advantage I believe with this one is that we now have more sort options to fine tune what or whom we at looking for.

Always a pleasure working with you. Things get accomplished.

The post above this one is a more detailed version of how to get to the Member listing. (It expounds on Dave's initial post).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I'm having a hard time messaging another wire contributor..

Rance:

Two listings above you will find the directions to get to the member list.

Obviously it works best if you know the members name or at least a part of it, in order to narrow down the search.

Hope it helps in the future, should you need it.

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Old wire.. I did it quite regularly.. Never seemed to have any problems..

New wire.. I get notifications of "likes" on my posts..

I get notifications of "someone quoted you"

but I'm having a hard time messaging another wire contributor..

But then, after fiinally finding one of their posts..

Going to their letter icon... Posting a message..

I have never got a notification that he responded..

Rance ;)

thinkin frustration..:unsure:

Let me know if you got a notification that I replied to your message it should show in the letter icon and an email, unless that is turned off.

Got it!! Thanks..

My email notifications are shut off but I got the little icon in the top 

right hand corner..

By the way ... In searching for members..

I found out in messaging that when you click on the little

envelope to private message.. 

A blank window shows up to receive the message..

As you type in their alias.. It goes through (alphabetically) 

all the members eliminating them as you type their alias.. NEAT!!

Rance ;)

Thinkin Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Rance:

Two listings above you will find the directions to get to the member list.

Obviously it works best if you know the members name or at least a part of it, in order to narrow down the search.

Hope it helps in the future, should you need it.

Thanks Kit..

I also found I can just type their Alias in the little envelope window thingy 

after you click on it.. Kinda does an auto fill (elimination) as you type in alias..

Thanks,

Rance ;)

• Like 1

How do I change my Display Name?

Only Administrators may change names. Either post it here or send me a PM.