SASS Wire Forum

Broke My Dillon 550

Was just about finished with a run of 500 rounds of .38 Special (8 rounds left), when the Roller Bracket Shell Platform broke in half on my Dillon 550. Once I figured out what had happened, had to finish off the remaining rounds by cycling the primer feed manually. Good thing this was all I was planning on loading for now. Will have to call Dillon in the morning to get a replacement assembly.

A new part will be on it's way that minute you hang up with Dillon Customer Service.............Yeah, that's Dillon's NO BS Warranty!

Bugler

Oh yes, Dillon is excellent that way. Of course it's just my luck that this has to break on a Sunday, now I have to wait until morning to call and get the new part for it. The only good thing is that it happened at the end of my reloading session, as I now have all of my .38 Specials loaded up (figure 1200 rounds should last me a while).

I've got absolutely no clue how it broke, did it in the middle of a production run. It's an older model 550, and comparing the old bracket to the one on my newer 550, the metal is super thin, much thicker and beefier on the newer model. Figure this one had seen many rounds loaded, as it started life as a 450, and everything short of the ram and that bracket has been upgraded (the ram will likely be the only original part left on it...and those do not break).

That is good to know. My 550 was bought in something like '79 or '80 and has loaded a couple rounds of all kinds in the years since. I am in the process of teaching a grandson how to reload, and I figure It might be in his future to own a 550. (used of course. ) Thanks. MB

Archived