SASS Wire Forum

Who Makes the 1876 Centennial By Cimarron

John Boy

The one that I had was made by Uberti, IIRC.

We should make it a rule not to post links to cool guns on the wire. My bank account can't handle. I really want one of those, or the crossfire carbine.

So here's a question: what's the preferred caliber for this gun?

We should make it a rule not to post links to cool guns on the wire. My bank account can't handle. I really want one of those, or the crossfire carbine.

45-60 was the one that I had. Very nice shooter.

Yule, thanks. Sure is expensive compared to the ones made by Chaparral that were 'work in process'

Took me 2 trips to Charter Arms changing links and bolt to make the Chaparral work due to the poor quality control of the rifle except for the barrel that is very accurate

X patches = 200yds - plain patches =300 yds

200300yd17Aug07.jpg

100yds ...

PDRM2893.jpg

50yds ...

50ydTarget_17Aug07.jpg

From what I have read, .45-75 was the most common caliber for this gun when Winchester made it. So that's a strong candidate.

But, I have also read that brass for the .45-75 is very hard to come by, and a pain to make your own out of from something else.

On the other hand I have read that .45-60 is just a .45-70 that has been shortened. That sounds a lot easier to work with.

I hope somone with better knowledge than I will clarify.

From what I have read, .45-75 was the most common caliber for this gun when Winchester made it. So that's a strong candidate.

But, I have also read that brass for the .45-75 is very hard to come by, and a pain to make your own out of from something else.

On the other hand I have read that .45-60 is just a .45-70 that has been shortened. That sounds a lot easier to work with.

I hope somone with better knowledge than I will clarify.

45-60 brass is available from Starline and others but you can make it from 45-70 brass if you want. The rifle I had was a very nice shooter, low recoil and very accurate. I bought mine from Taylors a number of years ago at EOT, they had a scratch and dent sale. I traded it to a pard for a Winchester High Wall. I guess Starline doesn't list it anymore, my mistake.

I have also read that brass for the .45-75 is very hard to come by, and a pain to make your own out of from something else.

45-75 brass is reformed from Winchester 348's in the 45-75 FL sizing die. All that needs to be done is trim the cases to 1.92 - reform the cases - fire form them and then re-trim to final1.86 length

Star-Line makes .45-75 Brass .....

The caliber is not in Starline's drop down menu - Not on the All Products page and Track of the Wolf has not have Starline 45-75 brass or any brand ... So, we're back to reforming 348's

The first caliber that Winchester made for the model 1876 was the 45-75 WCF. A great bottle neck cartridge that slings a 350gr bullet. The other three calibers are the 45-60 WCF, 50-90 Express and the 40-60 WCF.

I had CH4D make my 45-75 dies.

There are several outfits that you can order from, at least there has been in the past, for loaded ammo and for brass.

GAD Custom reloading did the first 20/40 rounds of 45-75, that I bought. Reformed .348 brass.

Jamison makes the brass also with 45-75 stamped on them.

Montana Bullet Works probably makes a great lead bullet. As there are probably other bullet makers as well.

The best smokeless powder I have found for the 1876 is Accurate 5744. Of course the black powder way is also pretty wonderful.

I sold my 45-75, but still have a 45-60 and a 40-60. Someday I will get another 45-75, but it will be a Winchester, like the other two.

Great luck on your journey. It is fun.

Anyone familiar with Jamison Brass?

I have several calibers of Jamison brass ... Quality!

Nice to see they are making 45-75 cases and the price per case is reasonable

Don't EVER buy any Bertram brass ... their reputation proceeds them ... very poor quality!

Archived