SASS Wire Forum

1956 "I've Got A Secret"

Subdeacon Joe

Sixty years ago.

Booth's action pretty much brought about the ruination of the South, in my opinion.

Obviously there is no way to know, but the question is whether had Lincoln lived would he have been able to stop or at least temper the actions of the Radical Republicans in punishing the South. I know we aren't supposed to get into political matters, but the election of IIRC 1876 pitted Democrat Samuel Tilden against Republican Rutherford B. Hayes. Although Tilden received the majority of the popular vote, neither had the requisite electoral votes. The election then went to the House of Representatives. Again, it was deadlocked until the Democrats agreed to vote in Hayes...if the Republicans would lift the occupation of the South under Reconstruction. Sadly, the bitterness remains to this day.

Interestingly, the grandfather of a friend of my father's, James Tanner, was present in the room where Lincoln lay dying, and recorded the events in that room in shorthand, later transcribing his notes for posterity. Tanner had lost both feet at the 2nd battle of Bull Run, and was working in the Ordnance Office in Washington. He had gone to a theater across from Ford's theater when the announcement of Lincoln having been shot sent everyone out of both theaters. Tanner went to his room on the third floor of the same boarding house where Lincoln was taken. Tanner's friend, a lieutenant in the same office where Tanner worked. Someone came out of the boarding house and asked the lieutenant if he could take shorthand. The LT replied, no, but his friend could. They went and got James Tanner, who then recorded the Lincoln death scene. Tanner later served as clerk of the probate court in DC, and his son rose to the rank of colonel in the Army, serving mainly in the Phillipines, retiring before WWII. The grandson, also rose to the rank of colonel and served with my father in the 42nd Infantry "Rainbow" Division in WWII.

Obviously there is no way to know, but the question is whether had Lincoln lived would he have been able to stop or at least temper the actions of the Radical Republicans in punishing the South. I know we aren't supposed to get into political matters, but the election of IIRC 1876 pitted Democrat Samuel Tilden against Republican Rutherford B. Hayes.

I don't think there is any prohibition here about historical matters, which this is. SASS is about history, to a significant degree.

This show ran the year before I was born. I think it helps to illustrate just how young our republic is.

As I've said before, I knew a Span-Am War vet, he knew Civil War vets, they knew Rev. War vets. Four handshakes, less than 4 lifetimes to span our history

Trailrider,

That's not politics, at least not modern political discussion which is where people tend to get themselves in deep, that's a history lesson. And thank you for posting it.

Thanks .

That was intresting

This show ran the year before I was born. I think it helps to illustrate just how young our republic is.

As I've said before, I knew a Span-Am War vet, he knew Civil War vets, they knew Rev. War vets. Four handshakes, less than 4 lifetimes to span our history

When I was a kid, my barber was a Span-Am War vet!

Archived