SASS Wire Forum

Single shot percussion and flint pistols

Come On Christmas

Which single shots b accurate target pistols? Ones a poor boy can afford. (Let's stay with ones you have actually owned.)

Gotten interested in old school single shot rifles too, but I be set on them short term.

Went to a tournament. Big fun.

Crayfish

Maybe you can order a DIY kit and make your own. Might save yourself a few ounces of gold dust. Been thinking about getting a .50 cal Hawkins percussion rifle, and giving it a go myself.

Traditions or Lymans would be my preferred choices.

I had a CVA Kentucky .45 percussion pistol that I paid $90 for at a gunshow. I cannot say that it was a tackdriver, but it certainly shot smaller groups with small powder charges, better quality patches and very consistent loading pressures. I saw a shooter get very small groups with a top-level Pedersoli, small charges of Swiss powder and a bathroom scale to measure his loading pressure (against the rules in some matches).

The Thompson is a really good one if you can ever get used to the triggers. They are forever bassackwards to me and dangerous to those who handle them without proper instruction. Heck, they might even be dangerous to the informed. Heres the deal: with most double set triggers you pull the rear to set the front to a lighter pull which is the one that fires the gun whether set or unset. Its that way on nearly all rifles including the TC Hawken and Renegade. However, on the Patriot and maybe the Traditions the Front trigger sets the rear and it is the one that fires the pistol!!!!!!!! Old habits are hard to break and thats why I got rid of mine in favor of a single trigger which is adjusted to light anyway. A single set trigger would be better for strictly target work.

Depends on what you want but the Lyman Great Plains pistol is a nice alternative and the auction sites sometimes have decent ones. Pedersoli and Navy Arms sells a lot of well made imports as well.s

The Patriots look cool. I did not know about them.

I had never thought about even pressures.

On the rifles, With my Thompson Rifles and 100 grains equal accuracy on my .54 Hawken CVA 75 grains is fine.

I made a Jukar 45 Kentucky like pistol pawn shop find for $75 I was all over the place at 25 yards. My buddy wanted to try to figure out what would make it shoot straight so I sold it to him. Tried 25, 35, 40 grains. 2F and 3f Goex. Swiss huh? Worth a try.

Dixie GW has a Pedersoli Kit Kentucky style pistol that has my eye.

Plus living around Dallas and Denton there are plenty of pawn shops about. Bought a Thompson Renegade pretty cheap. Traded a Jazz Guitar for it. I found it in my favorite Lewisville Pawn shop. Someone had busted a string nut into bridge and I figured out how to fix it.

It's wierd in Dallas Town It seems gun shop owners, pawn shops, and gun show folks want to rid themselves of their percussion inventory.

Had an interesting thing happen. My buddy and I discovered the Jukar was at least double loaded. My buddy lives in the country so I put a cap on it and shot it at the ground VAVOOM.

I have a Pietta 1860 tack driver. I want to get a percussion single shot, and a flintlock pistol. Because a group I found there are the three pistols types shot and then an aggregate of the 3 winner.

Sorry if this is rambling. I am typing on my IPhone.

Crayfish

The Patriots look cool. I did not know about them.

I had never thought about even pressures.

On the rifles, With my Thompson Rifles and 100 grains equal accuracy on my .54 Hawken CVA 75 grains is fine.

I made a Jukar 45 Kentucky like pistol pawn shop find for $75 I was all over the place at 25 yards. My buddy wanted to try to figure out what would make it shoot straight so I sold it to him. Tried 25, 35, 40 grains. 2F and 3f Goex. Swiss huh? Worth a try.

Dixie GW has a Pedersoli Kit Kentucky style pistol that has my eye.

Plus living around Dallas and Denton there are plenty of pawn shops about. Bought a Thompson Renegade pretty cheap. Traded a Jazz Guitar for it. I found it in my favorite Lewisville Pawn shop. Someone had busted a string nut into bridge and I figured out how to fix it.

It's wierd in Dallas Town It seems gun shop owners, pawn shops, and gun show folks want to rid themselves of their percussion inventory.

Had an interesting thing happen. My buddy and I discovered the Jukar was at least double loaded. My buddy lives in the country so I put a cap on it and shot it at the ground VAVOOM.

I have a Pietta 1860 tack driver. I want to get a percussion single shot, and a flintlock pistol. Because a group I found there are the three pistols types shot and then an aggregate of the 3 winner.

Sorry if this is rambling. I am typing on my IPhone.

Crayfish

A lot of trade ins and pawns will be loaded so treat them accordingly. My advice is to stay completely away from Jukar and most any Spanish made guns as they are nearly always trouble. Poor everything.

I've had 2 u nderhammers, one in .36 and one .45 both exhibited excellent accuracy.

Eww Eww! I have always wanted a buggy gun or an Underhammer pistol.

Maybe you can order a DIY kit and make your own. Might save yourself a few ounces of gold dust. Been thinking about getting a .50 cal Hawkins percussion rifle, and giving it a go myself.

Traditions or Lymans would be my preferred choices.

TC or Lyman are great choices.

I have a single shot percussion pistol I bought as a kit 50 years ago from Dixie gun Works. It is a .36 cal smoothbore. Shoote pretty well out to 20' or so. It is pretty cool with walnut grips, octagon bbl and case hardened color. I use it as a boot pistol sometime when I'm shooting.

Archived