SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger coachgun stock

Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925

Well, my Stoeger coachgun broke it's stock right at the top of wrist in the middle of a stage. It broke on both sides right behind where it fits to the receiver. We could not find any of the splinters. So now it's a very loose, sloppy fit.

Now what? I can't find any stocks on the Stoeger site, Brownell's, eBay, Boyd's, etc.

I guess it's better than my last Stoeger that had the receiver split on the bottom (not repairable and Stoeger said tough luck).

Time for a new shotgun? or ???

I can make you one but it will be out of Carlo Walnut and you will have to fit and finish it yourself.

I would also need your old stock as a pattern.

By the time you are done, you would be better off buying a new shotgun.

Stoegers are pretty much throw away guns if anything goes wrong with them.

They use sap wood for the stocks and they split fairly easily.

Thanks guys.

Email in to Goatneck Clem

Ace - yup throw away shotguns. This is my third. Woreout the lugs on the first. The receiver cracked on the second, now this.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad misfortune.

Stoegers are very soft metal and wear fast when used hard. The stocks sometimes self destruct the first time you shoot them. (There are expensive shotguns that do this too ) I've probably made more SKB stocks than anything else.

We have two Stoegers and, knock on wood, have not had a problem.

I'm just wondering if stock breakage is real common, maybe be more proactive and reinforce the wrist area from the get-go? That is basically, hog out wood on the inside of the wrist area and fill with Acraglas and bed the connection.

Not sure you will find anything following the "Tramontina" name, they import knives and machetes

Try searching the names "IGA", "Stoeger" or "Boito".

If it is a newer shotgun that care with what you find. The older stocks are different than the newer ones.

If you don't found anything let me know, I shot trap with the owners and other folks that work at Boito and can see if they know of a source in the USA for a stock.

Blaze

• 1 month later...

Just looked at the wife's Stoeger and it's missing wood on both sides of the receiver and a piece is missing on the fore stock. She actually sets her guns down gently compared to dropping them on tables and props like myself. I just broke the butt stock on my Winchester 73. I doweled and glued it, don't know how long that will last. Seems like as many Stoegers there are with broken wood someone must make replacements.

When my son outgrew his cutdown stock, I called Stoeger (IGA) and got them to sell me a new one. At first they refused... but I was persistent.

Just looked at the wife's Stoeger and it's missing wood on both sides of the receiver and a piece is missing on the fore stock. She actually sets her guns down gently compared to dropping them on tables and props like myself. I just broke the butt stock on my Winchester 73. I doweled and glued it, don't know how long that will last. Seems like as many Stoegers there are with broken wood someone must make replacements.

I do make replacement stocks but they are half the price of a new shotgun and you still have to do the fit and finish and you still have the fore end to contend with that splits lengthwise.

Stoeger stocks are made from a poor grade of wood. Mostly sapwood that has been stained. It has very little strength and splits along the grain of the wood very easily.

Small missing pieces can be filled and fitted with a mixture of sawdust and epoxy. Splits that haven't yet come off or if you can find the piece can be refitted and pinned with a 1/16 brass rod. There isn't much wood on the side of the receiver to play with on most any shotgun.

Archived