SASS Wire Forum

Upcoming Vacation

Frenchy Cannuck

Howdy Boys and Girls,

We will be heading south to San Angelo, Texas next March and from there we will be making a road trip to Santa Fe, NM. Now I promised my wife that this trip wasn't to be a CAS trip so I don't expect to shoot while I'm down there.

I would however like to hear from y'all your suggestions as to things to see while we're in Santa Fe. Restaurants or shopping or museums etc...

Thanks for your recommendations.

Frenchy

The state museums on Museum Hill and downtown on the Plaza are all worth a visit as is the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. The State sells a "culture pass" that allows entry to all the state museums for $25.00 The Plaza offers high-end (pricey) shopping while there is an outlet mall south of town down by the state pen. (Too bad there is not a thrift store selling striped clothing. They would make good CAS costumes.) Consult a ratings guide like Tripadvisor for restaurants - there are many excellent choices. Unless you are accustomed to spicy food, order New Mexican dishes with the red or green chile on the side. I usually eat several meals at the Pantry on Cerrillos Road when in Santa Fe. Prices are very good, there is an extensive menu, food and service is good and I never have trouble finding parking (parking is a big problem in Santa Fe). I like the La Fonda hotel on the plaza. It is a historic Harvey House property with easy walking to all the attractions on the Plaza. Santa Fe Sage Inn is OK if you are on a budget. Taos is just north of Santa Fe. A visit to the Millicent Rodgers Museum and the Taos Pueblo would be worthwhile.

Weather will be cold and windy in March so dress like you are at home. The elevation may tax you. Take your time walking and avoid much alcohol consumption as higher elevation increases the effect of alcohol. Use sunscreen as you can get sunburned quickly even in March.

Dress modern cowboy if you like. In both Texas and New Mexico you won't draw attention. Check out the state gun laws at https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/. It is possible to travel armed in much of the US.

Santa Fe Museums: http://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/Museums/

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

If you have time while in Texas, drop by Waco and visit The Texas Ranger Museum. Simply Outstanding! If you have more time, visit Fredericksburg and the Best CAS Store in the USA: Texas Jack's!

Cheers, Hoss

If you have time while in Texas, drop by Waco and visit The Texas Ranger Museum. Simply Outstanding! If you have more time, visit Fredericksburg and the Best CAS Store in the USA: Texas Jack's!

Cheers, Hoss

+1.5 ^_^

If you are a lover of "old west history" the Texas Ranger Museum is a 'must see'. Was there all day long on my first time and can't wait to go be to "soak it in" some more.

You both would absolutely LOVE Fredericksburg. Wagon loads to look at, good food, and like Hoss said- Texas Jacks. ;)

Howdy Boys and Girls,

We will be heading south to San Angelo, Texas next March and from there we will be making a road trip to Santa Fe, NM. Now I promised my wife that this trip wasn't to be a CAS trip so I don't expect to shoot while I'm down there.

I would however like to hear from y'all your suggestions as to things to see while we're in Santa Fe. Restaurants or shopping or museums etc...

Thanks for your recommendations.

Frenchy

Well you're finally gonna make the trip to the US....say howdy to the wife's family in San Angelo. I like that town...cool place.

What they said about Waco, the Texas Ranger museum is pretty cool....Waco is about 220 miles east from San Angelo....about 3 1/2 hour drive. I'm not from Santa Fe but have visited there a few times....lots of tourist things to do there. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good suggestions here on the Wire.

If you've got the time to extend your stay we'd love to host you and the little misses here in GA....lots of fun things to do around here. Our wives can shop and I've got enough guns and ammo and a gun club nearby so you can get your practice in too.

Kajun

While passing through Albuquerque you may wish to visit the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History at 601 Eubank Boulevard Southeast.

It has a lot of historic aircraft, missiles and other large equipment from America's Nuclear programs.

"The interior space will continue to present nuclear history, power, medicine, weapons, uranium mining, energy and radiation in its major exhibits. Also included is Little Albert's Lab, complete with an animatronic Little Albert, where children of all ages can learn the fundamentals of Albert Einstein's famous formula of E=mc²."

Duffield

Well you're finally gonna make the trip to the US....say howdy to the wife's family in San Angelo. I like that town...cool place.

What they said about Waco, the Texas Ranger museum is pretty cool....Waco is about 220 miles east from San Angelo....about 3 1/2 hour drive. I'm not from Santa Fe but have visited there a few times....lots of tourist things to do there. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good suggestions here on the Wire.

If you've got the time to extend your stay we'd love to host you and the little misses here in GA....lots of fun things to do around here. Our wives can shop and I've got enough guns and ammo and a gun club nearby so you can get your practice in too.

Kajun

Hey KK,

A visit to Georgia will be for another trip! Sorry.

I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later.

Hope you and the missus are doing well!

See ya'll soon.

Frenchy

+1.5 ^_^

If you are a lover of "old west history" the Texas Ranger Museum is a 'must see'. Was there all day long on my first time and can't wait to go be to "soak it in" some more.

You both would absolutely LOVE Fredericksburg. Wagon loads to look at, good food, and like Hoss said- Texas Jacks. ;)

We actually have been to Fredericksburg and Texas Jacks, we both loved it.

We're planning on stopping there again on our way back, maybe over night! We'll see.

Frenchy

if you are a WW2 buff, Fredrickberg has a real PT boat in the military museum... only one I have ever seen...

maybe a half track too...

On your way back north, you should visit Enis, Texas!! They have one of the best collections of WWII aircraft in the world!!

Archived