SASS Wire Forum

More: Those Darned Cops

Subdeacon Joe

Backstory:

Last week, someone called the Gainesville Police Department to make the complaint.

Officer Bobby White responded and instead of reprimanding the kids, he decided to join in and play with them.

His dash camera was rolling and captured more kids showing up to join in.

"Have fun. Glad to see y'all doing this than out there causing problems," Officer White told the group. "You play here every day? Okay, I'm going to try to bring some back-up out here tomorrow and we'll get a game going."

The follow up:

http://www.news4jax.com/positively-jax/shaq-visits-gainesville-to-play-ball-with-kids

Shaq heard about the story and wanted to surprise the kids. He wanted it to remain a secret. He traveled to Gainesville and met Officer White (pictured), then went to the neighborhood to meet the kids.

Officer White has declined an interview.

"Officer White is a private, humble guy that didn't want the personal attention," Gainesville Police Department spokesperson Ben Tobias said.

Thousands of people on social media praised Officer White for his response to the kids and were glad to see the kids having fun than out on the street causing trouble.

Every single one of us envisioned ourselves doing things like this when we were in the testing / hiring process. In fact, in every police interview in every police department across the country, some form of the question, "Why do you want to be a cop?" is asked. Every single applicant in every single interview answers some version of, "I want to help people."

Alas, some departments are better than others. In my agency, for example, I would be reprimanded for doing this community building activity. We are grossly undermanned, 640 cops for a city of a half million, in which the FBI recommends nearly 1200 officers. In my 11 years on the department we have plummeted from the top 10% safest cities in the US (when rates are adjusted to a per capita comparison) to the bottom 10%. So, being undermanned and overloaded with violent crime to battle, our supervisors will tell us in no uncertain terms that there is simply no time for things like this. If it is not an enforcement action, then move on. In fact, with certain bosses I'm convinced I would be written up.

Good cops are quitting in droves. We understand the manning problems are directly tied to the budget, but there is a total loss of confidence in our leadership to boot. If we had decent leaders, we could tolerate the crappy working conditions and average 7 years between cost of living adjustments to salaries (yep, averaging once every 7 years, and we do NOT get 7 years worth of adjustment when it happens -- we get 1, so we are falling farther and farther behind median pay every year). But we have horrible leadership, and people cannot tolerate it anymore. I, for one, have been handing out resumes like candy, and volunteer for active duty assignments with the Reserves at every opportunity.

That's kinda what I was thinking - what Cyrus said.

"Officer White, we pay you to patrol the streets and prevent crime - NOT to play basketball with the neighborhood children!"

I find it very amazing that that's NOT what happened to him.

I also find it amazing that no one called in and complained that "the cop is out here playing basketball, while he's on the clock, AND THIS BALL GAME IS GETTING PAID FOR BY MY TAXES!!!!!"

Orlando must have mellowed.

Every single one of us envisioned ourselves doing things like this when we were in the testing / hiring process. In fact, in every police interview in every police department across the country, some form of the question, "Why do you want to be a cop?" is asked. Every single applicant in every single interview answers some version of, "I want to help people."

Alas, some departments are better than others. In my agency, for example, I would be reprimanded for doing this community building activity. We are grossly undermanned, 640 cops for a city of a half million, in which the FBI recommends nearly 1200 officers. In my 11 years on the department we have plummeted from the top 10% safest cities in the US (when rates are adjusted to a per capita comparison) to the bottom 10%. So, being undermanned and overloaded with violent crime to battle, our supervisors will tell us in no uncertain terms that there is simply no time for things like this. If it is not an enforcement action, then move on. In fact, with certain bosses I'm convinced I would be written up.

Good cops are quitting in droves. We understand the manning problems are directly tied to the budget, but there is a total loss of confidence in our leadership to boot. If we had decent leaders, we could tolerate the crappy working conditions and average 7 years between cost of living adjustments to salaries (yep, averaging once every 7 years, and we do NOT get 7 years worth of adjustment when it happens -- we get 1, so we are falling farther and farther behind median pay every year). But we have horrible leadership, and people cannot tolerate it anymore. I, for one, have been handing out resumes like candy, and volunteer for active duty assignments with the Reserves at every opportunity.

Have you ever considered being a Supervisor and then you can do it your way?

Have you ever considered being a Supervisor and then you can do it your way?

Good idea, especially considering I have a significant amount of senior management experience and education through the military. If you draw a parallel between my military position / rank and my police department, I am roughly the equivalent of the Chief of Police (Lieutenant Colonel). The problem is, my department actively discriminates against military people (yes, I have an attorney), and most of them are afraid they'll end up working for me.

What's more, they have gerrymandered the promotion system. In bygone days, the testing process was highly regulated and overseen by the Civil Service Commission. They have ceded their power to the Chief, however, and he changed the policy so the Chief can now select any promotee whom he chooses, *regardless of performance during the testing process*. He has taken to promoting little clones of himself -- yes men -- and making sure NO ONE is going to change ANYTHING. He has a kingdom, and my chances of getting promoted are exactly zero.

Color me disgruntled. The military has provided me with a lot of opportunity, education, and assignments that have bolstered my resume unbelievably. So, I'm done. I will return to policing for a short time when I get home from this deployment, but only as long as it takes to get hired elsewhere. Then I'm walking away without looking back.

Good idea, especially considering I have a significant amount of senior management experience and education through the military. If you draw a parallel between my military position / rank and my police department, I am roughly the equivalent of the Chief of Police (Lieutenant Colonel). The problem is, my department actively discriminates against military people (yes, I have an attorney), and most of them are afraid they'll end up working for me.

What's more, they have gerrymandered the promotion system. In bygone days, the testing process was highly regulated and overseen by the Civil Service Commission. They have ceded their power to the Chief, however, and he changed the policy so the Chief can now select any promotee whom he chooses, *regardless of performance during the testing process*. He has taken to promoting little clones of himself -- yes men -- and making sure NO ONE is going to change ANYTHING. He has a kingdom, and my chances of getting promoted are exactly zero.

Color me disgruntled. The military has provided me with a lot of opportunity, education, and assignments that have bolstered my resume unbelievably. So, I'm done. I will return to policing for a short time when I get home from this deployment, but only as long as it takes to get hired elsewhere. Then I'm walking away without looking back.

Good for you. Would you consider rural America for your next police job? Or is there a particular size town you will only consider?

Good for you. Would you consider rural America for your next police job? Or is there a particular size town you will only consider?

I live rurally and prefer the rural lifestyle; however, I cannot afford the pay cut that goes with the change. It would be about a $20,000 - $30,000 per year slam to the income by taking a rural policing job in my area (Mrs. Cassidy has stipulated she does not want to move, which is why I left the active duty army in the first place!).

My master's degree and the training I've received from the army in space operations is *hopefully* setting me up for a gubmint civilian job working in space operations. Funny how the US Army Space and Missile Defense Command as well as NORTHCOM are located within commuting distance of my house. It's almost as if I planned the last few years of my military career to pan out that way ;)

If that doesn't work, I am under consideration at a non-profit organization for a management role. In fact, I would actually PREFER that job over the gubmint ones, but I'm applying in both sectors just in case.

I'm leaving law enforcement behind, and I am vested in a pension. I won't start collecting for 15 more years, but I do have a pension, nonetheless, so the brass is going to pay me for the rest of my life :)

I live rurally and prefer the rural lifestyle; however, I cannot afford the pay cut that goes with the change. It would be about a $20,000 - $30,000 per year slam to the income by taking a rural policing job in my area (Mrs. Cassidy has stipulated she does not want to move, which is why I left the active duty army in the first place!).

Give'er Hell !

Damn the Torpedos !

And good luck to you and the Miss's.

Thank you for your services too!

Archived