SASS Wire Forum

Forend on TTN Stuck!

Griff

Forend on my TTN hammer gun is stuck. Doesn't feel as tho' the latch is unlatching. I've tapped all over it with a rubber mallet... any harder and I'm afraid I'll crack the timber. Haven't tried prying up on it, might crack the wood... not a good thing!

Any hints, anyone?

Fire. No, don't shoot it. Soak it in kerosene and light it. Eventually enough will burn off to show you the problem.

Gee... thanks Goody... I'd try that, but I skipped fire training and probably wouldn't be able to control it well enough to keep the stock from going up in smoke also... :P

Jiggle it some more. Try several orientations while holding the forearm firmly against the barrels - if I remember right, barrels straight down and bounce gun a little to get latch working. If down doesn't work, then try up. Not in front of one to check which way it tends to move when it binds.

Mine did that a few weeks ago; found the two wood screws holding the latching mechanism had come loose and needed to be tightened. Grab the latch handle and work it around so as to get the latch plate in the right spot, too. Got to get the latch plate to slip out of the way of the latch when the latch opens up. Might even have to use a small punch or pick to reach down in there and nudge the latch plate into correct position.

Good luck, GJ

Jiggle it some more. Try several orientations while holding the forearm firmly against the barrels - if I remember right, barrels straight down and bounce gun a little to get latch working. If down doesn't work, then try up. Not in front of one to check which way it tends to move when it binds.

Mine did that a few weeks ago; found the two wood screws holding the latching mechanism had come loose and needed to be tightened. Grab the latch handle and work it around so as to get the latch plate in the right spot, too. Got to get the latch plate to slip out of the way of the latch when the latch opens up. Might even have to use a small punch or pick to reach down in there and nudge the latch plate into correct position.

Good luck, GJ

+1

And don't spill your soda in the fore end of your shotgun at the next shoot. :)

Thanks Joe. Guess, it's a trip out to the shop, for a bigger selection of tools... and AofH... if I hadn't of laughed so hard at your antics, I wouldn't have spit out that wad of tobacco... I know better than to waste good "soda"!

Got it unstuck. Another forum advised to unlatch it, and gently open the action... tried and the forend popped free. Everything seems tight, but from now on, I think I put a dab of grease on the catch before reassembling... might keep it from happening again.

hmmmm, why was yu tryun to take it off anywho!!??,,,,,

I'll trade you. Mine does not want to stay on. Especially when I shoot it.

Dustin

1,000 mph tape will fix that handily! :P

hmmmm, why was yu tryun to take it off anywho!!??,,,,,

After shooting BP, and before puttin' 'em away for a spell... I like to disassemble and clean thoroughly! Not that I might still be around to shoot this weekend...

Archived