SASS Wire Forum

Another reason to NOT carry side match guns to the line

Flying W Ramrod

Yesterday, main match. Second stage. Shooter, who insists on carrying a pocket pistol in a holster, high on his suspenders, came to the line to stage his long guns. Ooops, out falls his pocket pistol. Bye, SDQ.

If you are going to carry a side match gun to the main match line, make sure it won't fall out.

Might look neat but the price just got to high, not to mention the hassel of having to clear at the end of every stage! GW

And if you do, don't forgot that ALL guns must be shown at the unloading table. That (IMHO) includes the pocket pistol.

I carry a derringer in a suspender holster. To waylay the concerns of Cowpokes, I carved a imatation out of wood to carry instead.

And if you do, don't forgot that ALL guns must be shown at the unloading table. That (IMHO) includes the pocket pistol.

That IS the rule.

REF: RO1 p.12

I carry a derringer in a suspender holster. To waylay the concerns of Cowpokes, I carved a imatation out of wood to carry instead.

7. “Unload and Show Clear.” The command used by the Unloading Officer when a competitor comes to the unloading table (applies to all guns taken to the line)

Carrying costume guns used to be very popular but not so much now. If I were compelled to do so I would get one of the cheap fake guns or one of the low priced plastic castings that the leather workers use and hand paint it (slightly less than perfect). It has been a long time BUT I found that table workers got less diligent on this particular chore after having seen it a time or two!

Carrying costume guns used to be very popular but not so much now. If I were compelled to do so I would get one of the cheap fake guns or one of the low priced plastic castings that the leather workers use and hand paint it (slightly less than perfect). It has been a long time BUT I found that table workers got less diligent on this particular chore after having seen it a time or two!

It would be the shooter's responsibility to "show clear" all firearms brought to the line.

REF: RO1 p.9

And if you are going to carry extra hardware, best to have holsters that work well for the particular gun. The above mentioned shooter has generic holsters that don't grip his guns particularly well.

I am still trying to figure out why anybody would ever want to mess with a costume gun at a match. Seriously, it can't be loaded. It can't be used. It has to be shown at the unloading table. If it falls out SDQ. There is just no upside.

Of course there are stages that call for derringers or other guns, but usually they are staged and not carried.

Not sure I see the point of carrying a Side Match gun to the loading table if it's not part of the normal stages.

Pinkertons have accused me of liberating gold from Yankee trains. My derringer has on several occasions conviced them otherwise.

SASS, to some of us, is a fantasy sport.

A lot of shooters wear costume guns, or actual working replicas thereof, for the feel and look of their persona. That's not the issue.

The issue is, if you're going to wear them, be prepared to show empty at EVERY ULT and don't be upset when/if they fall and you get a SDQ.

Today's shooters are frequently not on the same path as many of those from ten years or so back. Side matches and their assosiated weapos are not near as common or popular as they once were. When I first started playing cowboy there were one to three different side matches held after each monthly main match. This was probably in the early growth period when I first joined.and was busy trying to accumulate toys and learn about my new passion. There was a lot of change going on and I never really got into the side match craze but it was a big important part of SASS at that time BUT they pretty much lost popularity quickly and have almost disappeared as a regular event at all but the larger annual matches in most places. Another element of SASS that was equally as popular was the costuming and I would guess that many who enjoyed both were simply displaying one of their favorite cowboy guns as a part of their costume??

Do not mistake my first post, there is not a recommendation to try and circumvent the rules concerning checking weapons being brought to the table. In my opinion the rules should actually be changed so as to disallow the carry of actual firearms as costume pieces. There are many fake guns and plastic molding gun models out there that would work well for costume pieces. Since these models are not guns, no foul no harm. As a side, many of the plastic castings are great for the guy who would like to keep a gun stored in his holster during storage, maintaining its shape and fit.

PS: If the item that falls from the holster turns out to be a plastic casting, no rule has been broke, it wasn't a gun.

i had thought to do this at one time , i was liking a couple of my 'extra' pieces and wanting to include them more , but i thought better of it when i geared up and realized i now had extra things to think about and pay attention to - there are enough distractions without them ,

Watab, I am with you on this. I was still a working stiff when I jined up and never got involved in derringers and pocket matches though they did look cool in those suspender and shoulder holsters. Nowdays I am more drawn to the long range buffalo matches but to lazy and broke to jump in there! I upgraded my Bond Arms derringer to 45/410 barls a few years back and it now gets to play a lot while pretending to be a gater gun while I fish from a kyak..... My old mind is now wandering from the topic at hand so will move on, be safe which ever direction you travel..

Archived