SASS Wire Forum

My Newest Toy

Ramblin Gambler

I know it's no garand or 30 carbine, but I think it'll be fun to shoot nonetheless. Been wanting one for a long time, but every time I saw one it was north of $1k. This one was somewhere around $400, so I jumped upon it. The story is that it came from an estate sale and the fella who owned it hunted deer with it up till a couple years before he passed.

I tell ya what, I only THOUGHT the garand ammo was expensive and hard to find! Can't wait to take this old thing to the range. If anyone is anyone familiar with Springfield Research Services, do you think it'd do any good to see if they have info on this serial number? I don't remember if they had records on guns this old.

30xe5ir.jpg1zv5y55.jpg20s6b2a.jpg1rtgu1.jpg11l67i1.jpg15ppu09.jpg

Yup, that's the only ammo I've been able to find. Remington corelockt at $1.75 per round. I've found 2 or 3 different types of garand ammo, and can get it for less than $1.50 per round without even trying. No one seems to make FMJ bulk 30-40 krag.

Reload your own. Plenty of published load data available. You can also load rounds with a mite less recoil than factory original.

Try using this search tool. Ammo Seek They show some as low as $1.50 per round

I don't know what info they might have other than the manufacturing date.

http://www.bowersweapons.com/SA%20US%20KRAG%20serial%20numbers.htm

Krags dated before 1898 were made specifically for 200-220 grain bullets at 2000 fps.

Krags made in and after 1898 were made for 170-180 grain bullets at 2300 fps. I learned that with the three samples that I owned and use for CMP and deer hunting. They all do well with hard cast lead bullets with copper base cups at around 1500 fps that make for enjoyable shooting. The weak part of this rifle is the single bolt lug. Keep loads soft and inspect the lug on a regular basis.

Great rifle.

I don't know what info they might have other than the manufacturing date.

http://www.bowersweapons.com/SA%20US%20KRAG%20serial%20numbers.htm

If you mean SRS, supposedly they can tell you who it was issued to, where it served, and whatever rebuilding or maintenance it went through.

I tried to get a hit on a US&S 1911 that I own, and they told me the information was classified. I suppose I will rejoin again and take a shot with this rifle's SN. If nothing else, I should be able to get info on my new garand.

This is a link to a site with manufacture dates for military firearms http://oldguns.net/sn_php/milmods.htm

just pick the Krag and then enter you serial number and it will give you the year of manufacture.

Archived