SASS Wire Forum

Thunderbolt

Subdeacon Joe

I just saw four in close formation Friday, then they each peeled off to land. I have had the pleasure to meet and talk with several crewmen of the A-10 squadron here in Fort Wayne. They have stories of the middle east but they ain't talkin much about that right now. Maybe in a few years..... They just played hob over there not too long ago.

One of my favorite images:

613px-P-47_does_night_gunnery.jpg

My Dad told me "When 'ya lit up the guns, you could feel the plane slow down"..... eight 50's packed a punch.

My Dad told me "When 'ya lit up the guns, you could feel the plane slow down"..... eight 50's packed a punch.

My former boss's father flew P-47s and had kept some gun camera footage for ages. Evidently he was worried he would get in trouble, but my boss (former prosecutor) checked and had it put onto tape. I watched some of it. In addition to a lot of footage of shooting up rivers, woods and other things, there is a piece where he was shooting at a train and knocked over a couple of box cars.

The Mustang gets all the Glory but it was the P47's and P38's that beat the Axis in the air. The two top aces in Europe were Gabreski and Johnson, both Thunderbolt drivers. The American Ace of Aces and the number two man in the Pacific Bong and McGuire were Lightening drivers. That's numbers 1-4 of the top scoring americans. Number five was McConnell who flew F6F's Hellcats. Note the lack of Corsairs or Mustangs among the top five American Aces. The Mustang may well have been a better airplane but by the time they arrived air superiority had already been won. Before there was Shock and Awe, there was Lightening and Thunderbolts,

Watched a video last night on the Corsair. Guy was making a case for them not being carrier friendly and that they were relegated

to the Marines to use on ground bases. He then made a statement that the Navy's Wildcats and Hellcats were carrier planes but

not as agile as the Corsairs. I thought that was pretty much BS, especially with the Hellcats.

But what do I know. I am just an old worn out ground pounder.

Archived