SASS Wire Forum

U-2G Cat and Trap aboard the USS Ranger

Sedalia Dave

Declassified video of a CIA U-2G taking off and landing from the USS Ranger (CV-61). The U-2G was a specially modified version of the spyplane, with strengthened landing gear and a tailhook added to accommodate carrier operations

http://youtu.be/Weuq--G8u_0?list=UUAdN9s9MrsX0BVdz4XZAhaA

Everything I read suggests that a U-2 was not an easy plane to fly, so putting one down on a carrier is definitely an achievement on the part of the pilot

Still using a hook is cheating

KC-130 carrier landings http://theaviationist.com/2014/07/16/c-130-land-on-carrier/

Everything I read suggests that a U-2 was not an easy plane to fly, so putting one down on a carrier is definitely an achievement on the part of the pilot

Still using a hook is cheating

KC-130 carrier landings

U-2's don't have a reverse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same with Blackbird....Taking off can get interesting...They to disappear very fast...

TL

We near Plant 42, know when a BB is going up-It's the LOUDEST plane there is. :lol:

The U-2 engines have a very distinct 'hollow-echo' sound to them when under power.

OLG

I saw some U-2's take off and land at Beale AFB. It was interesting in that another pilot would be in a Mustang 5.0 following the plane talking the U-2 pilot up or down.

Chantry, are ya sure there wasn't a crewman in that Mustang plugging in the outriggers...? :)

Used to go to the Armed Forces Day Air Show at Edwards AFB back in the day. Always windy, got to watch many a fly by of U-2s that had so much wing flex that they looked like a giant seagull coming down the runway/ Then they would pull into a 45 degree climb and s-l-o-w-l-y fly up out of sight! :lol:

Archived