SASS Wire Forum

Had a rough day, needed assistance

Howdy and happy Monday.

Went to a shoot yesterday and in 5 out of 6 scenarios I had a primer back out and jam up my pistol. This was a first for me and very frustrating. I hoping like in the past someone here might have some advice that can help me. I'm shooting .45's with 200 gr. bullets, 5 gr. of Trail Boss powder, Winchester primers, and assorted brands of brass. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Ranger

In I'm right your not using enough powder. I like trail boss myself and 200 gn bullets in my 45 colts and with out checking I'm think I'm using more powder were not allowed to discuss actual loads here, but I would go online and find the cowboy data for trailboss and 200 gr 45 colts. What is not happening from my understanding is that the powder blows the primer out the back but the recoil of the correct load knocks it back in. But if you don't have that recoil and it doesn't take much the the primer isn't knocked back in the hole or that's the wat it was explained to me.

I had this happen to me over the weekend with some super light loads in my 44-40s with Trail Boss and some of the guys told me the same thing about the primers. So I've relegated the 50 or so left to fun shooting or rifles. One guy said he did that and had to re-load 1000 of them one time. Ouch!

I agree, trail boss is so much fluffier that it requires more.....I use 3.7 in my 38's.....

KK

Tight crimp, if not already.

More powder.

Not sure how accurate they are...

If you are not sure you know how much variation your powder measure has when using Trail Boss powder, YOU NEED TO CHECK IT!

Blindly trusting your measure that it is throwing a consistent weight is bad news.

Throw 20 or so charges with that measure. Weigh each one. Record them on paper. If you are getting more than 0.1 grain weight variation there, find out what is causing the problem. A dirty measure (could need cleaning); static cling (could need wiping down with anti-static dryer sheet); clumped powder (from not putting it back into the original bottle after a loading session); a foreign object in the throat of the measure; etc; etc.

Good luck, GJ

Tight crimp, if not already.

More powder.

If you are not sure you know how much variation your powder measure has when using Trail Boss powder, YOU NEED TO CHECK IT!

Blindly trusting your measure that it is throwing a consistent weight is bad news.

Throw 20 or so charges with that measure. Weigh each one. Record them on paper. If you are getting more than 0.1 grain weight variation there, find out what is causing the problem. A dirty measure (could need cleaning); static cling (could need wiping down with anti-static dryer sheet); clumped powder (from not putting it back into the original bottle after a loading session); a foreign object in the throat of the measure; etc; etc.

Good luck, GJ

+1 and Trail Boss needs a very consistent, smooth press operation.

I run Trail Boss on a lee turret press with the pour through die. I weigh the charge every dozen or so to make sure it's staying consistent.

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks back shooting my .45 open tops, trail boss and 200gr bullets. I never had that problem with my Rugers but something is different with the open tops.

Anyway, I was using the starting load of trailboss but kicked it up another three 10ths and haven't had the problem since. It looks like you're well below the starting.

I'll PM you with what I'm using now.

-JD

What is not happening from my understanding is that the powder blows the primer out the back but the recoil of the correct load knocks it back in. But if you don't have that recoil and it doesn't take much the the primer isn't knocked back in the hole or that's the wat it was explained to me.

You're on the right track but not completely there. The primer blows itself back out of the pocket when it's detonated. To see this, just load up a round with no powder and no bullet, then fire just the primer in your revolver. It will back all the way out and operating the gun will be difficult. This happens every time a round is fired in every type of gun.

Once the powder begins to burn and pressure rises, the brass is stretched or pushed backwards against the bolt face. This reseats the primer in the pocket.

You are way under the minimum recommended load for Trail Boss with your components. Very bad things can happen when TB is loaded below minimums. You can either go to Hodgdon's website and use their data or you can use this formula and calculate the load for any cartridge.

BTW Trail Boss is VERY sensitive to excessive case volume. I found staying a couple tenths of a grain above the minimum gave more consistent results.

Have shot .45 colt for 10 years. 200 grain bullet and Trailboss powder and Federal primers. Never had the problem that you refer to. Agree with others that your load is light. Email rcoleman@fnb.bz and I will share load info. Use Dillon 550 with excellent outcomes.

Archived