SASS Wire Forum

Barrel Length of New Model Vaquero--Does It Make A Difference?

Bart Solo

Ruger offers the NMV in two barrel lengths--4.61 and 5.5. Do you think barrel length makes any practical difference when playing CAS or is the difference a matter of aesthetics and personal preference?

I like the shorter ones.Shot my new ones yesterday for the first time never have had ruger CAS guns.

Personal preference. How they balance in your hands. Longer ones theoretically take slightly longer to clear leather, but not enough to make a difference once you get used to it.

I tried the shorter ones, likes how they felt and balanced in my hands and that's what I got. Kinda wish I had also tried the longer ones for comparison, but such is life.

Obviously longer sight radius is better, though less important at SASS distances, but can make a difference for some folks.

as already mentioned, its how they feel in YOUR hands.

I shoot the Sheriff models, which are 3.5" barrels. And of course, I shoot them GF category.

I've shot the last 2 GOA's (24 stages) with NO misses with them.

I shot the GA State a couple years back with NO misses.

And I just shot the NC State with them with NO misses.

of course, I get all my misses at my home clubs..... ;)

it all boils down to what feels good to YOU. Sometimes, it might not be the barrel length that determines the feel but rather the grips or hammer style. There are a few variables that can help determine the feel of a pistol in YOUR hands.

..........Widder

Many top shooters are seeing the virtues of going to 5.5".............I have always been able to see the sights virtues better ;)

Just ask Mike, Travis and Daniel to name a few

Otherwise known as Deuce Stevens, Santa Fe River Stan and Dang it Dan

Archived