SASS Wire Forum

Corsair Flyby

Subdeacon Joe

I love the Corsair. Awesome looking, amazing machines. In the looks department I am slightly partial to the Spitfire and the P-38. Out of all of the WWII fighters the P-38 Lightning is my favorite. For what it's worth, Jimmy Doolittle once called it "the sweetest flying plane in the sky."

No doubt the P-51 is a 100% performance aircraft. There is just something about the down turned (probably not the right term) wings on a Corsair that make it look so awesome.

I guess if I was a multimillionaire I'd own one of each, not much chance of that happening😏

Designer Chance Vaught wanted the most of the 13 foot diameter prop , so he designed the wings to take full advantage of the thust

Originally the Navy felt the F4 was a poor platform for carrier operations due to poor visibility due the long nose and wing on a base turn

The Brits started to aggressively use the aircraft on carrier ops by using a defending turn to final

Corsair, Thunderbolt, and Hellcat all had the same engine.

Hellcat was never fastest of the 3, but then the Navy never felt there was any reason to improve anything as there was no need at all.

I believe the term for the Corsair wing is inverted gullwing. IIRC I read somewhere that a contributing factor for the inverted gull was to provide clearance for the 13' diameter prop without having excessively long landing gear.

Not in the same category as the the -51, -38 or -47 but my favorite was the P-61 followed by the F-7F

I loved the video but cringed when I saw that he was over the crowd for part of the pass.

Archived