SASS Wire Forum

Just wondering about the premium that people have been paying/asking for JM marlin riffles. I realize the prices reflect supply and demand for these guns. My question is which models and calibers seem to be in most demand? Are .45 colts and .44 magnums brining the same premiums that 38s and 32s are? What about the non-cowboy models like the XLRs and guide guns? Have theses models benefited from the lack of supply of JM Marlins? Also, will the new Remington/Marlins coming out now change the dynamics?

Hoss

All of the octagon barrel cowboys bring a significant premium. 32s the biggest followed by 38s. Also the 38 carbines are selling at a premium over the 44 round barrel by at least 150%. If the new remlins are good, then I foresee the price of the JM guns softening.

But before new RM can make a dent in JM models, they are going to have to get more models and calibers and out in quantity. All I'm seeing in new RM 1894s in 44 magnum.

But before new RM can make a dent in JM models, they are going to have to get more models and calibers and out in quantity. All I'm seeing in new RM 1894s in 44 magnum.As

As of right now that is where the money is. With more and more states (mine included just last year) allowing pistol caliber rifles in shotgun zone for deer season it's created a demand for them. Got to spend as long as I wanted to holding a fresh from the factory .44 last week and was very impressed. Wood was great and action felt good. It even fed ammo. Will be awesome when the .357's hit the shelves because one of those and a pin and spring kit will get somebody well on their way in the game for about $700 and those kinds of price points are what will help attract new shooters as much as anything else.

My opinion... the Cowboy models will still bring a premium and in some calibers, they will bring a premium PLUS.

Part of the factors in keeping these at a premium is that those who have them don't want to let them go. And those who want them will pay the premiums because in my opinion, they are worth it. They are great rifles whether on the CAS firing line or in the Southern piney woods.

p.s. - I plan to put a couple Cowboy models on the market soon. Both are Cowboy models. One in 44-40 and the other in .32 H&R

..........Widder

Widder,

I have been looking for a Marlin CB 32 H&R, but like many can't afford todays prices.

I have the two revolvers in stainless with ivory grips (32 H&R), but have been unable to complete the set.

Lone Rider

I search GB about every week to see what's available in 1894 and what kind of prices they are bringing. There ara a lot of new 44 magnums listed. I figure there is either a lot on the market or the ones that are out there are not moving. There is a 336 at our local Wally-World for less than $500. Unless they keep selling one and putting another out, it's been there a long time.

The MXLR's are selling at $1500 for a JM gun. The reason is, they are now discontinued or popular calibers in the package that is unique. I think the cowboy guns will eventually come down a bit, but I see JM guns being like the pre-64 winchester always worth a bit more. They will ramp up the 1894 production to meet demand, but quality is still spotty from what I see in the market.

I search GB about every week to see what's available in 1894 and what kind of prices they are bringing. There ara a lot of new 44 magnums listed. I figure there is either a lot on the market or the ones that are out there are not moving. There is a 336 at our local Wally-World for less than $500. Unless they keep selling one and putting another out, it's been there a long time.

I've seen several ads at local store for 336's around the $450 mark, it's a shame they can't make pistol caliber rifles to sell for that.

Randy

Demand is the reason they charge more for Pistol Caliber levers ...

That and that a lot of Folks that buy a "Dirty Thirty" are Novice hunters and looking for a Cheap gun ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived