SASS Wire Forum

Salt Water Slurpee

Miss Lorrie asked if the dumping of snow in the ocean could have contributed to this?

One of the little fishing village in my area, is frozen over. Only two of the boats are able to get out. The other guys have had to walk out to there boats and chisel the ice from around their boats, on a daily basis.

Noz, I don't know about Massachusetts, but here in Maine we are not allowed to dump the snow in the ocean.

That's what the cities were doing. No place to put it so they put it in the ocean.

That's what the cities were doing. No place to put it so they put it in the ocean.

If you want to do that now, you need special EPA permits; too much road salt, ice melter, oil & gasoline, etc. It's treated as a last resort. Certainly not done off Nantucket.

LL

We had seen news reports of New York and Boston doing it.

We had seen news reports of New York and Boston doing it.

Don't know about NYC, but I think Boston stopped short of actually doing it; used giant snow melters and "snow lots", but were gearing up to do it if public safety demanded it.

In any case, both NYC and Boston are quite a way from Nantucket, where the photos were taken. Crossing the Bourne Bridge onto Cape Cod this morning, the canal was clogged with drifting ice flows - like a scene from Antarctica (or the sinking of the Titanic). The salt water river across from my cottage was frozen solid. Eel Pond in Woods Hole was frozen to the point that they were playing ice hockey there. Waquoit Bay, a saltwater estuary adjacent to Martha's Vineyard Sound, is frozen over with a foot of snow on top; you'd never know there was water there - just looks like a white desert.

Like I said, it's just durned cold. We got above freezing today - 33 deg. Break out the shorts and the lawn chairs!! Hoping for some more middle of next week.

LL

Noz, Boston uses snow melters. But I think you may be right. I remember seeing or hearing that they might be dumping snow from certain areas in the harbor. The ocean around here has looked like a slush puppy a lot this winter, but no waves that impressive. I have ice flows that a polar bear could live on.

Loophole, did not Boston get up into the forties on Tuesday? We did, had to brake out the sunscreen and ice tea. Way to hot to work!

SPRING CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!

Loophole, did not Boston get up into the forties on Tuesday? We did, had to brake out the sunscreen and ice tea. Way to hot to work!

SPRING CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!

Yep; only to return to single digits that night. They are promising us several days of highs in the 30's or 40's next week; right now its 19. I have some hope of seeing the sun by the middle of next week.

I'm beginning to understand snowbirds.

LL

I heard that Manchester, NH, paid fines to the EPA for dumping snow collected from the streets into the river. The local Walmart here has mountains in the far end of their parking lot.

When is a government going to stand up the Yankee government?

Pay A find, no! What's the Fed going to do? Inpound the city of Manchester?

I heard that Manchester, NH, paid fines to the EPA for dumping snow collected from the streets into the river. The local Walmart here has mountains in the far end of their parking lot.

Just curious.......

Where do they think the snow goes when it melts?

Ace:

I think the argument is that when snow melts on land, much of the water is "filtered" as it passes through soils, and contaminants are scrubbed or at least diluted before the water reaches a bay. Snow dumped directly into Boston Harbor doesn't get naturally cleaned first. We just spent bazillions of dollars to clean up the Harbor; nobody is anxious to pollute it again.

LL

Archived