SASS Wire Forum

Hammerless Shotgun

Paden

Howdy,

Due to my accident in October I am looking to switch to a hammerless shotgun. What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Paden

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

You have to consider nothing but a hammerless SxS. Unless you shoot Wild Bunch then you could use a Model 12 pump. Can you operate a SxS?

Cheers, Hoss

SKB 100 or 200 - excellent and light weight. Unless you like a heavy, excellent SxS, in which case a Browning BSS.

Good luck, GJ

SKB 100 or 200 - excellent and light weight. Unless you like a heavy, excellent SxS, in which case a Browning BSS.

Good luck, GJ

SKB's are great, it took me may years to bite the bullet and get one. Now I have a 100 and a 200, both with splinter fore arms so I can't tell much difference in them. A BSS seemed too blocky to me.

Randy

On the middle price range I go with one of the russian baikals either by eea bhii or remington Spartan I owned both in the past and once Johnny meadows tweaked them they were exceptional guns, in the higher price gun the SKB 200 is a great SxS although a little light after shooting the baikals for so long. Also Johnny tweaked it since I bought it from him that way. I also got a hammered TTN SxS from him that is outstanding. Out of the three I like it the best. But I've been shooting a 87 that. Lassiter tweaked to almost run itself. I load it, aim it squeeze the trigger then nudge the lever the shell jumps out ready to be pulled back or reloaded.

Thanks to all. I have 5 rabbit ear 12 gages and 1 97'. I have had slam fire problems with the 97' so I'll switch to a SxS.

Paden

I have 3 Stoegers, never had a problem with them. 2 of 'em are slicked up the other I just bought and it's tight as heck! For the money they're good gun I know lots of top shooters who use 'em! SKB's are great but have you checked the prices??? Yikes!

Rye :blink:

I started using a Stoeger SXS in 1994 brand new. I did not allow any gunsmith to make the sgun 50% old and worn to make it SLICK. I shot it every week end for the first 3 years did some work on making it open quicker,smoother in chamber and rounded out the inside so shells would drop in quicker, removed the auto safety made trigger pull lighter, smoother, a work of love, nothing unnecessary.

Never used any 12 G shell above AA Win all there was in the beginning, then lite AA and finally FEATHER 12. No 1200 hunting loads.

You will find many used sguns in 12 used up, too many shooters buy a gun, dont try it send it away to a name, make it faster,get what I mean.

One day I saw a Marlin pump in 12 G smokeless and started using that with my sxs, many others too were using the same pump, many stages had advantage of one over the other, then found a WIN 1897 with a head bent barrel for $375 as new, cost $25 to cut off barrel and put on front sight was 25 inches long. Wish you well

YOU Will find info at Marauder old irons web site on sguns and others.

Archived