SASS Wire Forum

Fascinating

Subdeacon Joe

As Spock would say.

Excitonic Dark Matter.

Using two-photon excitation spectroscopy, the researchers probed monolayers of tungsten disulfide, one of the most promising of 2D materials, and found evidence for the existence of excitonic dark states – energy states in which single photons can be neither absorbed nor emitted. These excitons were predicted from ab initio calculations by members of the research team to have an unusual energy sequence, plus excitonic binding energy and bandgaps that are far larger than was previously suspected for 2D TMDC materials.

ADDED

Also of interest.

Rice scientists led the first single-step growth of self-assembled hybrid layers made of two elements that can either be side by side and one-atom thick or stacked atop each other. The structure’s final form can be tuned by changing the growth temperature.

The discovery reported online this week in Nature Materials could lead to what Rice materials scientist Pulickel Ajayan calls “pixel engineering”: atomically thin semiconductors with no limit to their potential for use in optoelectronic devices.

0929_STRUCTURES-2-web.jpg

This image shows the interface between elements of the in-plane material created by scientists at Rice University and their colleagues. Tungsten disulfide (orange) and molybdenum disulfide (blue) molecules self assemble into either single- or multiple-layer materials, depending on growth temperature. (Credit: Yongji Gong and Junhao Lin)

AHA! This explains it!

A couple of months ago we acquired (what we thought was) a two months old, all black (not a single speck of any other color anywhere), female Cocker Spaniel. Now after dozens of attempts to photograph her I believe that what we got was really a black hole! Because all, or the majority of, photons generated by the camera flash are absorbed by her fur with very, very few bouncing back to the camera lens This makes it nearly impossible to obtain an identifiable image other than just a black form in the middle of the picture.

She also lunges for my nose all the time and I have to keep touching it to reasure myself that my nasal appendage has not disappeared into the void!

On the positive side, she is a major chick magnet!

If I understand this, I think where they are heading is the ability to make electronic contraptions 1 atom thick. Things like computer brains can be much smaller and control much smaller devices. Like injecting tiny robots into your body to fix stuff without having to open you up. Sure, it's science fiction now, but give it a few years. Look how fast computers evolved.

WELL, I FOR ONE, WILL SLEEP MUCH BETTER TONIGHT, KNOWING THAT RICE SCIENTIST ARE MAKING MORE DARK.

With the winter solstice just around the corner we will soon be loosing dark at an alarming rate.

And the government has no program to prolong darkness. :blink: Oh wait, maybe they do....

Archived