SASS Wire Forum

Another folding knife question

Old Scatterbrain

I am really confused by the difference between "switchblade" knifes and assisted-opening knives. The best explanation I have been given is that assisted-opening knives must be opened manually at least a small degree before the mechanism takes over and flicks the blade open. But based on that definition, the Benchmade "assisted-opening" knife I once had is actually a switchblade, because when you pulled back on the lock, the blade flipped all the way open from the fully-closed position. The S&W "Special Ops" knife I looked at today is the same: you pull back on a release on the backside of the pivot, and the blade springs from fully-closed to fully-open, but the person at the counter assured me it was a restriction-free assisted-open knife.

Can anybody explain this in terms I can understand?

I got familiar with the balisong (butterfly) knife in the Philippines, and brought several back with me. They look flashy as all git-out in action as they are deployed, but in reality, are slower than molasses compared to the switchblade, which I also brought back several of.

I donna know, but I thought switchblades were illegal?

It is unclear to me whether they are flat out illegal, or just restricted in who can buy them, but either way this is why the distinction is important. I am looking at knives that I am being told are completely legal, but they seem awfully switchblady to me. And while I wouldn't necessarily take any legal advice here as gospel, it certainly carries more weight than the opinion of some random cashier or gunshop "expert".

Most switchblades nowadays are called auto-openers. Sounds less dangerous. :rolleyes: They are illegal in some jurisdictions, restricted in others, and legal in some.

This gives a pretty good explanation.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-240.html

How a Switchblade Works

In basic terms, a switchblade is a knife featuring a blade that springs out of the handle when a button is pressed.

The typical switchblade, which is also known as an automatic or flick knife, looks like a regular folder, rotating around a hinge. But when the knife is being closed, tension from an inner spring is put on the blade. When fully closed, the tension is separated from the knife by a button. When the button is pressed, the tension of the spring is released back onto the blade and it flicks open without any effort.

The second type of switchblade is called the OTF (out the front) switchblade because the blade comes out at the top of the handle, like a pen. The opening mechanism functions the same way; the knife engages when a button releases the tension of the spring onto the blade.

How an Assisted Opening Knife Works

An assisted opening knife, sometimes called a spring-assisted knife, is a knife that springs open only after the blade is slightly pushed open with force.

Unlike the switchblade, nothing holds down the assisted opening knife when it’s in the closed position. As the user begins opening up the blade with a thumb stud or flipper lever, which has some resistance, the spring or torsion bar catches the knife and propels it open where it locks into place. For a more detailed look at how the torsion bar works in an assisted opening knife, check out this great video that dissects a Kershaw assisted opener.

How to Tell the Difference

A good indicator of whether a knife is considered a switchblade or an assisted opening knife is what the resting position of the blade is. If the blade’s natural inclination is to open without the presence of a hindrance, it’s a switchblade. If there is nothing blocking the blade and it stays closed, the knife is an assisted opener (assuming it has a mechanism to help open the knife).

Another way to look at it: If you are able to open the blade without exerting any effort on the actual blade, it’s a switchblade. Conversely, engaging an assisted opening knife requires you to put some pressure on the actual blade, whether on the thumb stud or a rear lever connected to the blade, before the opening mechanism takes effect.

Finally, the last surefire way to tell if it’s a switchblade is if it has a button that engages the knife. No assisted opening knife will have one.

This is the same thing I have read everywhere, but according to the conditions spelled out above, both knives in questions are switchblades. Both knives can be fully opened by either pushing a button or pulling back on the lock, without touching the blade whatsoever. Yet both are advertised as assisted-opening, NOT switchblades.

Legality varies by jurisdiction. In ND, switchblades, butterfly knives, daggers, etc are classified as dangerous weapons. If you have a concealed carry permit, they are legal to own and carry. In more liberal environments, not so much.

Also-Automatic knives are not just folding either. There's out the front(OTF)type too.

This is a favorite of my auto collection.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Infidel-Knife--2951

As is this one-

http://www.eknives.com/product/microtech-troodon-red-de-otf-3-stonewash-plain-138-10rd/

LG

DANG

at them prices , I will stay with my old fashioned boot knife

CB :ph34r:

Well then-The Chris Reeve, large Sebenza in my pocket will just give you the 'vapors' then--- :lol:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Chris-Reeve-Large-Sebenza-21--13380

LG

Also-Automatic knives are not just folding either. There's out the front(OTF)type too.

This is a favorite of my auto collection.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Infidel-Knife--2951

As is this one-

http://www.eknives.com/product/microtech-troodon-red-de-otf-3-stonewash-plain-138-10rd/

LG

Had a front springer when I was in Germany. Thought it would make a great jump knife. Went off once in my pocket and once in my boot. Never drew blood though.

:D

Legality varies by jurisdiction. In ND, switchblades, butterfly knives, daggers, etc are classified as dangerous weapons. If you have a concealed carry permit, they are legal to own and carry. In more liberal environments, not so much.

And by liberal of course you mean Conservative environments. ;)

Badger Mountain Charlie (and anyone else from Washington State) here is our law on dangerous weapons, including, as they call it, a "spring blade knife" . It has more to do with how the blade is released. If a mechanism allows the release of and forces the blade out then its illegal.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

Badger Mountain Charlie (and anyone else from Washington State) here is our law on dangerous weapons, including, as they call it, a "spring blade knife" . It has more to do with how the blade is released. If a mechanism allows the release of and forces the blade out then its illegal.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

Thanks Red. Looks like me and ole Timer are within the law.

Here in Florida all knives are legal to own. Carrying is another matter tho. CWP gives ya much more leeway in that department.

Everybody knows that a spring loaded knife is much more dangerous. Why, that there "snick" noise it makes can kill at 10 feet. They just terrify me.

Oy.

In Calif they are legal to own but you cant carry one on your person or in the passenger compartment of a car. I think there is federal law that makes it illegal for them to be sold across state lines.

Not true-

Each city has it's own knife laws. You can legally carry 2" blade or less auto-knife for the most part.

You are also wrong about the sales of auto knives across state lines- :rolleyes:

Do some research-- <_<

LG

Archived