SASS Wire Forum

Cz SxS How good for SASS?

357wheelgunner

I am shopping for a "first" shotgun for use in CAS. I am considering a SXS on the principle of KISS and I can not afford to buy three 97's for the oft quoted "one to shoot, one backup, and a third in the shop". There seems to be way to much debate on the life expectancy of the Baikal and Stoeggers to risk my hard earned pension on them. Used SKB'S are, well, used and hard to know what you are getting. I have a CZ rifle, 22 hornet, that I love. So, is anyone using a CZ SXS and how they are working out for you.

thanks

No-name-Jim

Like any other gun used in our game it needs to be professionally tuned. The hammers on my CZ hammer double are set a little wider than some of the others.

I been shooting baikals since I started. The first was a hunter with long barrel and single trigger I traded it along the way for another gun. The two I have now are both tuned by Johnny Meadows. The first one the original I tried doing the smithing my self in the beginning by buying the cocking levers from papa Dave. They worked for a while them it became unreliable. Sent it to Johnny And never had another problem with it. I traded it for a 87 and last I heard the guy loved it. I bought a bounty hunter II by EAA and when Remington released the sparton I got it for the removable chokes. Johnny made both almost identacle as far as functioning is concerned. I'll take a baikal from Johnny over any SxS except my TTN by Johnny and possibly a SKB by Johnny. I've never tried the later because of availability and cost.

I have a hammered one too. Had a tune up by TL the hammer springs lightened up and its great now. Also love the CCH finish on it and the wood on mine is nicely figured the inletting is amont the best I have seen for production guns.

Not knocking the gun but CZ does not manufacture that shotgun. It is made by Huglu in Turkey.

I have a friend who shoots a CZ Hammer Coach. It works well for him.

Keep in mind that an externally hammered shotgun is slower than a "hammerless" double. Only required in a couple of categories.

Howdy Wheelgunner, don't what you've herd bad about the Baikal, but slicked up they are a fine shotgun for this game, much better than Stoeger. The CZ looks good on the outside, but like the Baikal are a little rough on the inside. When I looked at them a few years ago the CZ cost a good bit more than a Baikal. Talk to a few good SXS gunsmiths...Goatneck Clem, Johnny Meadows, Three Cut...etc...etc...Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Not knocking the gun but CZ does not manufacture that shotgun. It is made by Huglu in Turkey.

I have a friend who shoots a CZ Hammer Coach. It works well for him.

Keep in mind that an externally hammered shotgun is slower than a "hammerless" double. Only required in a couple of categories.

Yes, I am aware that they are made BY HUGLU. I am not looking at the hammer guns for that very reason you mention, speed. Also a hammerless gun has one less thing, or rather two less things to keep track of!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, keep 'em coming!

I have a CZ / Huglu hammerless single trigger, and the wife shoots (occasionally) a Baikal double trigger. Both have had more than a little work done to them. The CZ defiantly wins hands down aesthetics and workmanship. However, I would probably shoot the Baikal for competitiveness if it were not fit to my wife.

Ok.. Lacey and I shoot Stoegers...

I came upon a CZ for sale... all set up for CAS..

The stock and been shortened..

I have to shorten the stock for Lacey..

It was a purty gun with nice wood and receiver had nice engraving..

I bought it for her...

Brought it home.. The only thing she said was..

"It's heavier than my Stoeger"

She hadn't had her Stoeger in her hands for a good 2 weeks..

I waited a while.. tried it again.."It's heavier than my Stoeger."

I sold the CZ.. :wacko:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I should have known better... :blush:

When I read CZ I thought of the hammer coach gun. I didn't think of a hammerless CZ.

For a moderately priced double I like the Baikal. On the higher priced side I like the SKB.

I'd like to see a good cowboy double between those price points. There are a couple that have been discussed but they not lots of data.

I have a CZ / Huglu hammerless single trigger, and the wife shoots (occasionally) a Baikal double trigger. Both have had more than a little work done to them. The CZ defiantly wins hands down aesthetics and workmanship. However, I would probably shoot the Baikal for competitziveness if it were not fit to my wife.

Please explain "would probably shoot the Baikal for competitiveness"?

Thanks Jim

I'm wavering on selling my bounty hunter II that was tuned by Johnny meadows since I've go the TTN and like it keep the Remington sell the EAA baikal so I can buy another gun, press etc.

Please explain "would probably shoot the Baikal for competitiveness"?

Thanks Jim

The CZ has a "Greener" action and it is little slower to load due to the lug between the barrels. 'Course, I could spend a little time practicing.

The CZ has a "Greener" action and it is little slower to load due to the lug between the barrels. 'Course, I could spend a little time practicing.

Howdy 357W.......

I use along with a few other shooters down here in S.E. Florida a CZ Ringneck 12 Ga. Yep, they have a "Greener", but if you have Kid Celero of GAA (Gunfirearms.com) due the work on them they are fast, slick, and very easy to use.

My CZ started out as a 26 or 28" gun (who can remember in this heat), it is now 18.5", opens with one hand, stays open, the bar in the middle actually helps loading two shells as fast as you can....They have a single trigger and as I said there are three of using them (Silverbuck Chuck, Wardogg and my self)

With all that said, there comes the other side of the equation and that is AMMO.

We have found that REMINGTON STS 1100 fps Managed Light Loads are the best for this gun. The AA 980 pas although they shoot fine, due to the primers used the firing pins get stuck and you then have a tough time opening the gun....So why struggle when you can shoot Remington.

GAA, is working on a fix for the firing pins but it is a slow go, since it is not so easy to get replacements parts from CZ in a timely manner.

So I say if you want to spent $1500 or so , get the CZ...send it to GAA and you will get back one super shooting shotgun.

Redstone Rider

I opted for a cheap chinese hammered gun from dunhams. Friend got one too. They are different from eachother and neither have a safety, which the parts manual and youtube show...who knows.

I did some work on it with a dremel, mostly polishing, and it opens and shucks shells with the best of them now.

The hammers are far apart and narrow-i've yet to find a way to cock both with one hand, so yes, it's gonna be slower. Best shooters hammered vs hammerless are less a second difference. It's built like a tank so should last well. But that may make it heavier..is that an issue? I guess mebbe it swings slower than a lighter gun. I only have to hold it for what, 10-15 seconds so weight isn't an issue like it would be a gun I have to hike for elk with.
When I need a second or two more speed I'll get a new shotgun w/o hammers. Till then I spent the savings on my other guns, springs, ammo to practice, etc.

Practice will be what makes you faster, well, faster, than using your visa for 'better' guns. Not missing or having P's called will make you faster than all the slicked up guns in the world. What class you shoot can make a big difference in how competitive you are too.

So..shoot what you like and can afford. Unless you buy the best there is today, you'll upgrade in a few years..and the best may be better in 5 years and you'll upgrade anyway.

Locally I see stoegers and a few TTN and of course 97s. At a side match recently the 97s shot faster than any SxS, so if speed matters get those 3 97s (often for the cost of one SKS)

I am surprised there is not more discussion on Stoegers. THese guns properly tuned are a pleasure to shoot.

I have a 4 year old Stoeger Supreme Coach Gun with single trigger. The gun has performed flawlessly now for about 4 years. Many believe they will double when shot, but the later ones have mechanical triggers, and do NOT depend on recoil/enertia to reset to the second barrel, and unless something in the lockwork gets bent or damaged, they will not double.

I slicked mine up myself, but for those that can't do it yourself, there are a number of great gunsmiths that can do the job pretty inexpensively. The newer guns have a fairly decent recoil pad and screw-in chokes, which is a plus.

All in all, I see no need for anything more expensive. This gun is easy to load and points and swings with ease. I can't imaging a gun working any slicker than this one does, and more especially within this price range.

I have been shooting a Huglu SxS in 20 ga ever since I started CAS. My 1st one was an S-2 from DeHaan in Idaho. Great gun and totally engraved. Very nice- very stock. It got stolen. I liked it so much that I replaced it with the same gun from CZ, now called the Ringneck. Less engraving, but polished blue barrels and CCH finish. Both had very nice wood. I have had the CZ slicked up a bit by a local yokel, but he did not do a great job. Overall- I really like the gun. If I practiced more I might get better times with it, but I'm really out to just shoot, have fun and look good doing it!

Archived