SASS Wire Forum

Value Check: Original Win 1873

Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925

My neighbor has a Winchester 1873 in 32 WCF (32-20) which he wants to sell.

Neither of knows the fair value for us both.

Serial number puts it about 1909-1910.

Bore looks good but the exterior is... well, it has character.

Stock and forearm are rough.

Finish is grey-brown. Essentially - none.

Octagon barrel but forgot to measure length 24"?

Action feels very dry and sluggish, but functional.

I had no dummy rounds to cycle thru it.

He says to offer him between $100 and $10,000. :)

I already have .32-20 revolvers and a Marlin and a Win 92 in that caliber, but no '73's in the collection.

What say you?

If bore is good and the action works, no cracks in stock or forend......No huge gouges in wood or metal.........."Honest Wear" for a gun its age......$1500-$2000

Absolutely, 100% impossible to give a value based on the above description with no detailed pictures. Tiny differences in condition or finish can make hundreds of dollars of difference in value. You see grey guns at the gun shows all the time for $1,000.00 and under. They don't move fast if they sell at all.

I would hate to say with that info and no pictures.Around here as low as $500.00 on up.Saw one that they wanted 1600.00 for it at the gun show,don't think it sold.

Man, that is soooo wierd. I've been looking at them in GunBroker over the last few days. Kinda DejaVu sort of.

Lowest I have seen there is around $900 all the way up to $3900, none of them have much finish left. The best looking one was actually about the middle of the price range, but other factors are probably involved, I didn't look that close.

Good Luck with your new shooter as I am sure you can strike a deal. I sure would! All I ever get is people offering me their old CRT TVs! :P

Dogmeat Dad

Archived