SASS Wire Forum

Sovereign Citizens

Yeah, they've been around for a while. Friend of mind got mixed up with them several years ago (nothing violent) and ended up with some serious problems with the IRS. Very serious.

Yeah, they've been around for a while. Friend of mind got mixed up with them several years ago (nothing violent) and ended up with some serious problems with the IRS. Very serious.

Wow...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Brings to mind the "Posse Comitatus" movement of the '70's.

I knew a couple of folks who jumped into that one. After they figured it out, they jumped right back out of it.

Sovereign Citizens has been increasing in number and violence in the past couple of years. We get a monthly intel bulletin about their activities in the area. They really have some crazy ideas. Usually they start out by making threats of civil suit and refusing to comply with lawful requests. Most have suspended licenses for failure to appear on previous traffic tickets. They can be very intimidating to the uninformed officer.

They're total nutcases in these parts. I've had a few run-ins with them in my law dawg job. Fortunately they haven't tried any "paper terrorism" (their favorite tactic) against me...yet. We have one who always goes to the Social Security office to file for benefits (doesn't recognize our government, but will take their money!), and then refuses to go through the security line. When confronted, he escalates to the point of assaulting the security guards. Last time he had a stun gun cane and attacked two of them with it. One was injured badly enough the Sovereign was charged with a felony.

I had another one kidnap, sexually assault, and hold hostage his ex-girlfriend for 3 days. She escaped and alerted police, which I was assigned to investigate. After getting the arrest warrant signed by the judge I developed some information he was staying with his parents in the unincorporated county. I alerted the Sheriff's Office, who went after him. His parents were also Sovereign citizens, and holed up, refused to negotiate. It turned into a SWAT standoff, and eventually the S.O.'s SWAT team broke out all the windows and gassed them out. Guess who they were hiding? Yep, there was my guy in all his meth-head glory.

I knew a Sovereign Citizen who, was very smart to the point where the IRS didn't touch him until his burying day. They IRS did tax his coffin and head stone ! But he didn't pay any other taxes to the US or state. Said some or nothing it was illegal and could prove it. Had too a few times, then the IRS seemed to give up.

He didn't call violence or anything like that. He simply said he didn't recognize the current government and didn't feel as if he was to abide by anything coming out of Washington because Washington didn't abide by anything his people had to say to it.

They're kind of fun on traffic stops because they usually end up getting themselves arrested while trying to convince us we have no authority to do so....

Archived